Job Prospects for Actuarial Studies? (1 Viewer)

Bw2004

HSC
From year 10 onwards I've been pretty set on wanting to do actuarial studies, thinking that it looked pretty interesting (as it combined business and math which are stuff I'm interested in). But now I am so confused if it is even wise to do it, after hearing from others how the job prospects aren't really good (as there are way too many people doing the course, but not enough supply of jobs) and how people end up not becoming actuaries but go into completely different fields like data science or computer science.

I've thought of doing a double economics degree (as economics is something I am interested in also) but again the job prospects aren't good either... so yeah, I'm kinda lost what to do :confused:

Last edited:

Grinder

HSC
I have also looked at being an actuary, though this may not answer your question, I have heard that it is very statistical and quite difficult. I have been looking into Investment banking or Management consulting. You can do a commerce/actuary degree and have a wide range of job prospects.

Bw2004

HSC
I have heard that it is very statistical and quite difficult.
Yeah I've heard that the exams are really hard (like the average is roughly 30-40%), and only those that pass get into proper actuarial jobs :/

Bw2004

HSC
From year 10 onwards I've been pretty set on wanting to do actuarial studies, thinking that it looked pretty interesting (as it combined business and math which are stuff I'm interested in). But now I am so confused if it is even wise to do it, after hearing from others how the job prospects aren't really good (as there are way too many people doing the course, but not enough supply of jobs) and how people end up not becoming actuaries but go into completely different fields like data science or computer science.

I've thought of doing an double economics degree (as economics is something I am interested in also) but again the job prospects aren't good either... so yeah, I'm kinda lost what to do :confused:
Any thoughts @pikachu975 @quickoats

Last edited:

uniqueusername1

HSC
But now I am so confused if it is even wise to do it, after hearing from others how the job prospects aren't really good (as there are way too many people doing the course, but not enough supply of jobs) and how people end up not becoming actuaries but go into completely different fields like data science or computer science.
yea i have heard the same. the good thing is you'll have a lot of transferable skills. but many people i asked said you need really good marks + extra circulars to even get a chance to land an actuarial position. not too sure cause i haven't done it myself lol.

quickoats

HSC
yea i have heard the same. the good thing is you'll have a lot of transferable skills. but many people i asked said you need really good marks + extra circulars to even get a chance to land an actuarial position. not too sure cause i haven't done it myself lol.
yeah it can be tough to get an actuarial position but there's definitely transferrable skills that can be used in other fields

can't comment on much else because I only did one year, but the "drop-out rate" tends to be people that transfer into a different degree out of lack of interest/not deciding to pursue an actuarial career, rather than flunking out of the course altogether.

idkkdi

HSC
I have also looked at being an actuary, though this may not answer your question, I have heard that it is very statistical and quite difficult. I have been looking into Investment banking or Management consulting. You can do a commerce/actuary degree and have a wide range of job prospects.
investment banking and management consulting is probably even harder to get into than actuary lol

Grinder

HSC
My parents wanted me to do Actuary/Commerce or Law/Commerce, I don't want to do actuary for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. I want to become an Investment banker or a Management consultant, I could just stick with a commerce degree, but to add the extra bit of flair or differentiate me from other candidates I want to do a double degree, which increases my flexibility in terms of job options. In response to the original post, if you like math and business, I don't think you have to be an actuary, I think even investment bankers, accountants, economists, and more use maths as well.

Grinder

HSC
investment banking and management consulting is probably even harder to get into than actuary lol
Yeah, if you are passionate about it and of course work your ass off, then I might be able to get in, with potential upsides including earning very high incomes as you progress but you have to work 70-100 hours ( take these work hours with a grain of salt, this is what I have heard). Also, I have heard that if you work for McKinsey apparently financially aids your entire tuition/fees to get an MBA, I think?

Bw2004

HSC
yeah it can be tough to get an actuarial position but there's definitely transferrable skills that can be used in other fields

can't comment on much else because I only did one year, but the "drop-out rate" tends to be people that transfer into a different degree out of lack of interest/not deciding to pursue an actuarial career, rather than flunking out of the course altogether.
Why did you drop out if I don't mind asking?

uniqueusername1

HSC
My parents wanted me to do Actuary/Commerce or Law/Commerce, I don't want to do actuary for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. I want to become an Investment banker or a Management consultant, I could just stick with a commerce degree, but to add the extra bit of flair or differentiate me from other candidates I want to do a double degree, which increases my flexibility in terms of job options. In response to the original post, if you like math and business, I don't think you have to be an actuary, I think even investment bankers, accountants, economists, and more use maths as well.
Also bro not tryna scare you. but heres some forums created by people who graduated from actuarial. idk how accurate they are:
maybe do a double degree?

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah, if you are passionate about it and of course work your ass off, then I might be able to get in, with potential upsides including earning very high incomes as you progress but you have to work 70-100 hours ( take these work hours with a grain of salt, this is what I have heard). Also, I have heard that if you work for McKinsey apparently financially aids your entire tuition/fees to get an MBA, I think?
not trying to scare u or anything, but MBB in total probably takes in less than 10 fingers worth of people a yr from undergrad lol.

as far as I'm aware most of the people they take in out of undergrad have university medals lol.

Grinder

HSC
not trying to scare u or anything, but MBB in total probably takes in less than 10 fingers worth of people a yr from undergrad lol.

as far as I'm aware most of the people they take in out of undergrad have university medals lol.
What are uni medals? I do like brutal honesty when it comes to receiving advice.

Bw2004

HSC
Does anyone know what degree you would need in order to do something in the investment banking/finance field, would it be a commerce degree or applied finance degree?

Last edited:

Grinder

HSC
This is a bit irrelevant, I saw the dayllel scholars stream in USYD, which gives u mentoring and other benefits if you get an atar 98 or above, does that offer a complete scholarship for your course. I tried researching it but couldn't find anything, anyone help me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)