just overall questions about everything (1 Viewer)

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
Hi!
So there have been a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone has the answer to haha :)

1. Co-op:
So I've heard from people around me that initially all the smart fellas make it lol and tbh I'm not like 100% confident in getting a raw 98? atar so I was wondering if theres any point in applying? (I'm just doing mediocre in a top 10 selective school if that helps) Because the application is hella long and like I am a bit busy doing papers and such so not sure idk, would they even bother looking at my results if I'm just doing barely above average?

2. SRS:
I'm pretty sure basically everyone applies for this right haha so I'm just curious as to how many offers they actually give out if that even makes sense like I'm curious as to what their standards are as to picking students to give offers? sorry if this doesn't make sense lol

3. Law:
I'm kinda interested in doing law atm however, some people around me are telling me that if before it used to be law and medicine, its more steering towards medicine and actuary lol so i'm just curious as to what people have to say and to those who do law currently, how you find it personally. (Kinda?? not too sure tbh but interested in HR and consulting if that helps)

4. LAT:
To those who've taken the LAT before and performed well, do you perhaps have any tips/information that will help me perform well? ( I know ATAR matters more but just in case) I previously took the test when I was in year 11 and I got like a 70?? something around that but I obviously want to do better this year. I'm just a bit confused as to how to lay out my writing if that makes sense? I feel like since I've become so used to writing essays, discursives, narratives and etc, unless they specify one of these options I find my brain lowkey freezing? sounds stupid I know but not sure at times if they want me to take a certain stance or just write an overall review? Like do i analyse their techniques and shit? and how it shows blah blah blah?

5. Overall Life Advice Help:
As I'm choosing what degree I wanna do next year, I can't help but feel like I literally have no interest in anything/everything. lol this sounds fucking sad but even when I ask my friends at my school as to why they're choosing that specific degree, they all just talk about the money aspect and the yearly salary for certain jobs blah blah blah. I can't help but feel so unmotivated and like useless??? like i haven't achieved anything since I have no interest whatsoever and it doesn't help that everyone around me isn't choosing their degree mainly based on their likes and dislikes but more because of the position? this particular job has in our society and ones smartness lol. (at my school it's literally, ur smart? ok do medicine. ur doing average but dont know what u like? ok business school. u have a passion? ok lol cool) hahahah quite sad.
Is this normal? Does everyone choose their degree because they like it??? Because I just feel so uncertain about my future and I know everyones like you can switch degrees and such like sure yeah I can but it just feels like such a waste of time?? I just feel like everyone else has their shit together while I'm like fuckkkkk the fuck i do with my future n shit. pre nerve wracking tbh.

Anyways, thank you so much for taking the effort to read my post and best of luck to everyone taking the hsc this year! hope everyone is safe and doing ok :D

uniqueusername1

HSC
As I'm choosing what degree I wanna do next year, I can't help but feel like I literally have no interest in anything/everything. lol this sounds fucking sad but even when I ask my friends at my school as to why they're choosing that specific degree, they all just talk about the money aspect and the yearly salary for certain jobs blah blah blah. I can't help but feel so unmotivated and like useless??? like i haven't achieved anything since I have no interest whatsoever and it doesn't help that everyone around me isn't choosing their degree mainly based on their likes and dislikes but more because of the position? this particular job has in our society and ones smartness lol. (at my school it's literally, ur smart? ok do medicine. ur doing average but dont know what u like? ok business school. u have a passion? ok lol cool) hahahah quite sad.
Is this normal? Does everyone choose their degree because they like it??? Because I just feel so uncertain about my future and I know everyones like you can switch degrees and such like sure yeah I can but it just feels like such a waste of time?? I just feel like everyone else has their shit together while I'm like fuckkkkk the fuck i do with my future n shit. pre nerve wracking tbh.

Anyways, thank you so much for taking the effort to read my post and best of luck to everyone taking the hsc this year! hope everyone is safe and doing ok :D
Same boat as you man. I'm conflicted on what to choose. But, I guess we should just grind HSC for now. Then evaluate all our options in January. Nothings worse then being depressed in a degree you don't like or switching later on.

laterz laterz

HSC
Hi!
So there have been a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone has the answer to haha :)

1. Co-op:
So I've heard from people around me that initially all the smart fellas make it lol and tbh I'm not like 100% confident in getting a raw 98? atar so I was wondering if theres any point in applying? (I'm just doing mediocre in a top 10 selective school if that helps) Because the application is hella long and like I am a bit busy doing papers and such so not sure idk, would they even bother looking at my results if I'm just doing barely above average?

2. SRS:
I'm pretty sure basically everyone applies for this right haha so I'm just curious as to how many offers they actually give out if that even makes sense like I'm curious as to what their standards are as to picking students to give offers? sorry if this doesn't make sense lol

3. Law:
I'm kinda interested in doing law atm however, some people around me are telling me that if before it used to be law and medicine, its more steering towards medicine and actuary lol so i'm just curious as to what people have to say and to those who do law currently, how you find it personally. (Kinda?? not too sure tbh but interested in HR and consulting if that helps)

4. LAT:
To those who've taken the LAT before and performed well, do you perhaps have any tips/information that will help me perform well? ( I know ATAR matters more but just in case) I previously took the test when I was in year 11 and I got like a 70?? something around that but I obviously want to do better this year. I'm just a bit confused as to how to lay out my writing if that makes sense? I feel like since I've become so used to writing essays, discursives, narratives and etc, unless they specify one of these options I find my brain lowkey freezing? sounds stupid I know but not sure at times if they want me to take a certain stance or just write an overall review? Like do i analyse their techniques and shit? and how it shows blah blah blah?

1st advice: Go to Sleep on Time

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
dont do law for the money/prestige because its not what it was before. but you seem to be interested in going into law so you'll be fine.

also 5. is a mood. literally same but like dont stress too much about it cause you can always change your course down the road? and for me what i did was choose by process of elimination, 9-5 seems like a trek to me, i hate & am bad at maths so not anything in that area, cant stand competitive academic culture where your entire life revolves around school, so not med etc.

yeah at a top 10 selective it can feel like everyone has their shit together but you, but dont let it stress you out, a lot of people feel the same way!!

Wizjaro

HSC
Hi!

1. Co-op:

2. SRS:

3. Law:

4. LAT:

1. I assume this is the UNSW one and in that regard I have heard that they can be really strict when it comes to atar, and demand a high one. However you do miss all the shots you don't take so I would definitely recommend you give it a go provided you genuinely want to do it. If you have no interest in it your time is better spent preparing for the HSC.

2. This one kind of depends on the university. Each University has a different criteria when giving out early entry so you are better of just research what each university requires, but typically they do all tend to look at your year 11 results and your school rating(which should be good for you).

3. Soz I don't plan on doing law, but also don't listen to your peers. I personally also go to a high ranked selective school and the truth of the matter is most people don't even do their own research and just regurgitate whatever they think they should like saying law medicine and actuary are the only professions when there are several more.

4. Again, I don't do LAT, so better of weighting for someone who does haha.

5. This is completely fine. I think an issue a lot of people in our year face is believing that this is the be all end all when in reality we have so much more time to our lives. You do not have to make the right decision now. You only have to make a decision which you believe is right. When making your decision you should 100% factor in your passion and also your skills. When deciding on what I wanted to do I asked myself what it was that I really liked and then asked myself what I'm good at. Whilst the degree I ended up choosing wasn't the one that I liked the most passion wise it was the best one in terms of being in the middle of those criteria. Also another reason why I can choose the degree despite my undeniable uncertainty is that I know that I will have many opportunities to change it if worst comes to worst. And avoid the herd mentality of your year group.

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
also the number of srs offers that get made is somewhere on uac's website (my careers adviser showed it to me before but i forgot where rip sorry)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Looking back now, I'd say commerce/finance or software/IT would be a good bet if you have no idea what to do. There's always jobs out there, pays reasonably well, degree isn't too long (3-4y), and most importantly, you'll probably be able to work from home at least 3d/week if not permanently. Good lifestyle and good bang for your buck.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Apply for the co-op. I applied and got in despite having a bad ATAR. You can't get lucky if you don't apply.

I also didn't care about anything (even now). Just pick something that looks cool and put 100% into it. Worst thing that will happen is that you mature and switch professions while in a better situation than if you did the same thing indecisively. If you apply a lot of work ethic then you'll generally be fine.

Best advice I could give you is that the future is going to happen no matter what you do. So you may as well apply for everything and put your best foot forward.

ahmed.f

HSC
Apply for the co-op. I applied and got in despite having a bad ATAR. You can't get lucky if you don't apply.

I also didn't care about anything (even now). Just pick something that looks cool and put 100% into it. Worst thing that will happen is that you mature and switch professions while in a better situation than if you did the same thing indecisively. If you apply a lot of work ethic then you'll generally be fine.

Best advice I could give you is that the future is going to happen no matter what you do. So you may as well apply for everything and put your best foot forward.
What if I wanna do a double degree?

specificagent1

HSC
so on the question of srs, some unis require additional criteria to be met for them to consider your srs application to be considered.

TLDR:

The schools recommendation scheme (SRS) is an early offer organised by UAC for all universities that considers a series of factors (refer to UAC) and you can apply for it via UAC. Despite this, the universities may each choose how they operate their SRS program. For example, some universities require you to be eligible for EAS in order to receive an SRS offer from them. Such as:
  • UNSW Gateway
  • USYD E12
  • UTS Equity SRS
You may also be required to upload supporting documents or answer certain questions to apply for these scheme. This is known as institution specific requirements.

You can still apply for SRS but only universities in which you are applicable for their criteria of SRS will consider your application. You would need to check each individual university what their SRS program is and whether your course is eligible for SRS. All SRS offers come out on the same day.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
What if I wanna do a double degree?
I'd just put 100% into the double degree and then choose what profession i wanted to do at the end of it. If i didn't know what to do then I would just take the initiative and pick something.

I've actually changed professions twice since I was 18. Doing quite well professionally nonetheless.

Point is that its ok to be unsure. And a lot of people that act sure are probably just doing what I do and selecting something.

Applying for coop probably still worth it for the interview experience. Only takes a day to put the app together and a day to interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)