Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
so..

i own a small collection of cds.

i have an mp3 (not yet anyway, but i'll probably buy a nano soon)

in the past when i ripped songs from CDs the file size was always around 4mb per song at 192kb/s.

would anyone know how i can rip/copy songs from CDs onto mp3s so that the file size is significantly smaller? i think my friend can reduce this to less than an mb for each song and so for those of us with limited space on their mp3s, this would be a godsend! are there any files on the internet which allow this compression? (i'm thinking something like winrar for music)

thanks guys.

sunny

meh.
HSC
More compress = generally more quality loss :eek:

You will have to decide for yourself what level of compress you can deal with, and what formats the player you buy can support.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
If you can, you should encode your mp3's using "Variable Bitrate" as opposed to "Constant Bitrate". That way you can keep quality in bits of the music while discarding insignificant bits in the quiet parts of the music.

I use dbPoweramp and usually set my nominated bitrate at 192.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
^ i've heard that songs with variable bit rates would cause a reduction in the players battery life, cause the player has to 'work' harder or something...

nwatts

HSC
Yeah, bigger file = better quality. You can be smart about it, but generally, you'll notice the difference. In itunes, if you select their AAC encoder and use it at 128 bitrate it'll come out smaller than MP3s at the same bitrate, and I can't notice any difference.

I generally rip them as VBR MP3s between 128 and 320, so the file sizes are fairly epic. But, I can't notice a difference between the MP3 and the CD, so it works for me. My brother does the AAC stuff I mentioned before, and it's listenable, just not great.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
can you really tell the diff then between 192kb per sec and say a bitrate of 64?

i must confess i don't notice a thing when i'm listening to my tunes .. maybe its the headphones?

but the point raised about battery life being decreased is interesting .. hmm how about 128 bitrate that should be all right shouldn't it?

nwatts

HSC
bobness said:
can you really tell the diff then between 192kb per sec and say a bitrate of 64?

i must confess i don't notice a thing when i'm listening to my tunes .. maybe its the headphones?

but the point raised about battery life being decreased is interesting .. hmm how about 128 bitrate that should be all right shouldn't it?
hah, very much so. there'll be no depth at all in the sound, it'll be flat and distort easily. could be your headphones, or your ears.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate said:
Audio (MP3)

* 32 kbit/s — MW (AM) quality
* 96 kbit/s — FM quality
* 128 - 192 kbit/s — Typical "acceptable" quality, may be considered low-end-med by those with discerning ears
* 224 - 320 kbit/s — Medium-high quality to near audio CD quality
Well, it's really up to you nominating a bit rate from the above groups.

The type of music being played can sometimes mask the loss of quality; in a jazz music you would notice the quality loss much more than in a metal music.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
how about something like R&B and mainstream pop?

yes its social faux pas :eek:

nwatts

HSC
haha oh dear :p

it's entirely a personal thing, as i can't really listen to music if it isn't at least decent quality, whereas i know others just ignore/don't realise the flaws with the audio. you should download an encoder and do some testing with the same few songs using different codecs/at different rates- find the point you're happy with.

sunny

meh.
HSC
nwatts said:
it's entirely a personal thing
Absolutely...it really depends on how good your hearing is / how selective you are. I know some audiophiles that don't listen to 128kbps MP3s because they sound horrible and 192kbps is "acceptable" - whereas alot of people won't be able to tell the difference when they're listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)