• Congratulations to the Class of 2021 on your results!
    Let us know how you went here
    Got a question about your uni preferences? Ask us here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

KEEP FORGETTING MATH CONCEPTS (1 Viewer)

jkjkjk

HSC
I KEEP FORGETTING MATH CONCEPTS I'VE LEARNED AFTER A MONTH OF NOT REVISING. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When you provide so little info re your problem, how would you expect to receive meaningful advice? What maths are you doing? What concepts you keep forgetting? How have you been faring in your maths so far? etc etc

jkjkjk

HSC
When you provide so little info re your problem, how would you expect to receive meaningful advice? What maths are you doing? What concepts you keep forgetting? How have you been faring in your maths so far? etc etc
I'm doing advanced maths and it seems to be any concept I've learnt even the basics like algebra. if I don't practice ill forget how to do it in about a months time. I have been doing semi-well in math mainly because it's the subject I like least and unfortunately don't enjoy it compared to my other subjects

Masaken

HSC
I'm doing advanced maths and it seems to be any concept I've learnt even the basics like algebra. if I don't practice ill forget how to do it in about a months time. I have been doing semi-well in math mainly because it's the subject I like least and unfortunately don't enjoy it compared to my other subjects
I would say you should aim to practice consistently, especially since (generally) many people tend to forget things after doing it once and not touching upon it afterward. If it is 'any concept' you seem to forget, then I would start to work from the very beginning, by doing basic textbook questions. If you forget the formulas/forget key parts in theory, keep them alongside you while completing them, then slowly begin to complete the question without trying to look at it. Then as you work your way up through difficulty, work through past paper questions (school, HSC, etc), without referring to these notes/formulas, and then mark them right after.

I'd also keep a record of mistakes I have made, then continue to revise them (whether it's forgetting a small detail, not knowing a formula, etc). I do think the main problem here's the lack of consistent practice (I have a similar problem in other subjects)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Thank you.
From my experience, the approach is to keep practising: this is how you remember. You don't remember by "memorising". Maths is a discipline that is based on deduction, i.e. logical reasoning. Basics like algebra is fundamental; if you are weak in your algebra, then the rest of your maths suffers. Of course algebra is not the only background you need. You also need to have a good grounding in geometry, trigonometry, indices etc etc.
But please soldier on. Don't give up.

sab13562

HSC
I KEEP FORGETTING MATH CONCEPTS I'VE LEARNED AFTER A MONTH OF NOT REVISING. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??
Best thing to do is to constantly do practice questions for each topic, or even do a past paper, I would do one past paper minimum per week, and that way, all topics would be covered, or I would collect past paper questions and categorise them into each topic/concept, and do one topic each week as revision. I did this, and never forgot any concepts for year 12. Also, if you do harder questions, you tend to remember better, especially if you make a mistake and correct it. Remember though, don't overdo it, and take a break if you need to. All the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)