lagging bench (1 Viewer)

untouchablecuz

HSC
my current stats are:

squat: 115kg
deadlift: 122.5kg
bench press: struggling at 60kg

any idea why my bench is lagging so much?

i do as much upper body work as i do lower, i don't see the reason why its so behind

edit: to add to this, i'm also not oddly proportioned (i.e. massive legs and tiny chest)

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I have the same prob.

Dead: 160, Squat: 140, Bench: 90. (x1)

It is caused by long arms. If your deadlift runs away from your bench, you likely have insect arms AND sloped shoulders (and may not notice this until later).

Get someone with experience critique your style and analyze at your build. Benching a lot requires technique and shortening of the range of movement (ROM).

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
maybe you've plateaued, google up some plateau busters (or i might be wrong)

otherwise i'd just keep up with the benching/dumbell chest press/etc until i gained muscle and can increase weight.

friction

HSC
Bench is meant to be less. General rule of thumb is 1:1.5:2 of bench:dl:squat

Most people are roughly around this mark.

untouchablecuz

HSC
I have the same prob.

Dead: 160, Squat: 140, Bench: 90. (x1)

It is caused by long arms. If your deadlift runs away from your bench, you likely have insect arms AND sloped shoulders (and may not notice this until later).

Get someone with experience critique your style and analyze at your build. Benching a lot requires technique and shortening of the range of movement (ROM).
hmm i don't think i have insect arms, they're the right size relative to my body. tho i'm not sure about the sloped shoulders

russs

yeeeee
HSC
hmm i don't think i have insect arms, they're the right size relative to my body. tho i'm not sure about the sloped shoulders
If you weigh 80 then your lifts are clearly not in line; and given the comparison between your bench & dead i'd guess your arms are quite long.

Benching your bodyweight is a very easy goal for most up to 100kg.

You can't plateau with a 60kg bench at 80kg bw. You can plateau with a 1.5x bw and higher bench.

Also your squat is way too close to your deadlift, which suggests something wrong as well.

How long u been training?

untouchablecuz

HSC
If you weigh 80 then your lifts are clearly not in line; and given the comparison between your bench & dead i'd guess your arms are quite long.

Benching your bodyweight is a very easy goal for most up to 100kg.

You can't plateau with a 60kg bench at 80kg bw. You can plateau with a 1.5x bw and higher bench.

Also your squat is way too close to your deadlift, which suggests something wrong as well.

How long u been training?
started around 2 months ago

in regard to my squat and deadlift:

i can squat 6 reps of 110kg quite easily and around 4 reps of 115kg (with some difficulty)

perhaps i've inflated my squat above where it should be

Last edited:

VicerExciser

HSC
do you squat using a rack? we're the same weight but my squat is pathetic (90kgs)

untouchablecuz

HSC
yer i do, i don't look at the smith machine

keep in mind i had a strong lower body prior to starting gym (a lot of football and NRL)

Rickbrah

HSC
If i was you i would be following this routine, trying to use dumbells as much as possible(dumbells are alot more effective)

4x8 flat bench
3x8 incline dumbell press
3x8 decline dumbell press
3x6 incline bench
3x8 dumbell flys
3x5 dips

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
If i was you i would be following this routine, trying to use dumbells as much as possible(dumbells are alot more effective)

4x8 flat bench
3x8 incline dumbell press
3x8 decline dumbell press
3x6 incline bench
3x8 dumbell flys
3x5 dips
3 x 6 reps (6RM obvsiouly) is optimum for muscle strength. 2 mins rest or even more between sets. Look through any body builders book for confirmation.

Dude, Bench took me alot longer aswell, just slowly add weight ie. 1.25kg or 2.5kg each side prehaps, each week.

My Bench is lagging aswell.

Deadlift: 160kg (6 reps x 2-3 sets, usually 2)
Squat: 140kg (6 reps x 3 sets)
Bench: 100kg (6 reps x 3 sets) I usually really struggle pushing out the last set.

I've been doing it for about 6 months though.

scora

HSC
what's the difference between using dumbells for the benchpress and using the barbell?

Rickbrah

HSC
what's the difference between using dumbells for the benchpress and using the barbell?
dumbells are suppose to be more even as in work each pectorial equally, when using the barbell some people are known to do more of the work with one pectorial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)