Language and Gender (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
How'd you people find it?

Personally loved the analytical question
2009 Extension English Paper 1 Q15 said:
Write an essay in which you explore the interplay of identity and concealment in Language and Gender.

In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts AND texts of your own choosing.
Wrote 11.5 pages on it so very happy :jump:. The texts I used were:

• Elizabeth:
    • Identity as a woman --> Seen as unfit
    • Identity as a capable woman shown by her transformation, spoke a bout the scene with the bishops and how she concealed her 'femininity' to mock them i.e. clothing she wore was very masculine in design and draws attention away for he womanhood, her body language is very confident and authoritarian, he mocking language " how can i force you my grace? i am a woman", talked about how the camera angles created power giving her a more 'masculine' identity
    • The cutting of her hair like the protestant at the beginning making them men in the eyes of the public so that Elizabeth can obtain more respect and so that the protestant woman's burning wouldn't be viewed as horrifically by the public watching
  • Twelfth Night
    • Obviously Viola, but spoke more about her innate mannerisms such as refusing to use "valor" and how this differed to 'masculine' mannerisms such as with Sir Andrew who prefers 'valor, for policy [he] hates" then used these to compare to the scene between Sebastian and Sir Andrew
    • Spoke about how Orisino presents more 'feminine' qualities such as exploring feminine ideals such as love, how he let his emotions show which goes against many gender theories, and how even Viola takes note of 'female' behaviours such as "waxen hearts"
  • Other Related 1: Emily Howard from Little Britain
    • How the use of sterotypes is used to create a social identity of a female i.e. use of parasols, make-up, lace hanker-cheifs, can't pick up heavy items
    • spoke about how such stereotypes add to the comical element of trying to hide his identity as a man and how it never succeeds
  • Other Related 2: Dating the Enemy (film) by Megan Simpson Huberman
    • Talked about how the couple switch bodies and learn about how to be male/female, whilst trying to keep the identity of the other believable
    • how they both had trouble hiding their innate natures such as walking and tones
    • how they tried to explore sexual roles and how this created more confusion in their social identity as male/female
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But i fell into trouble with the creative at first

2009 English Extension One Paper Q16 said:
This Language is a borrowed dress
I put on
but never truly wear.
It is functional enough:
hides what must be hidden,
enables me to blend into streets and supermarket aisles
Use all or part of the provided text in a piece of imaginative writing that reflects your understanding of convention in Language and Gender.
but ended up writing about a woman giving a fictional speech about it all, but used the first line language is a borrowed dress. got 6.5 pages on it so quite happy with it, but know my analytical will be a better mark.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how about you all?

Niek

HSC
I thought it was quite a good essay question - I had my fingers crossed identity would come into it so that was nice to see :) I used Orlando and Twelfth Night as my prescribed.
But the creative... I wasn't really prepared for it in the first place so I couldn't really hope for much! But I wrote about 8 pages which was alright, I just hope it was good stuff!

Ella9

HSC
Yeah I didn't find it too bad. The creative writing was actually pretty good, so now my story will probably do better than the anayltical but thats how it goes.

queline

HSC
Horrah! Ext English is over!
personally, i loved both of them, the essay was pretty straight forward really, not too surprising. I used Elizabeth, Twelfth Night, and Mad Men (TV series) and Spelling by Margaret Atwood. i managed 10 and a half for that one, so that was great.
I also loved the creative, i don't know what you guys are complaining about haha. It's usually my favourite anyway, which helps things along. Mine was just a ramble about a non-conformist wife. A bit stereotypical, yes, but it was titled "The Price of Lettuce" and was generally fun. I think i spun 10 pages for that one too.
Anyway, it's all done, yippee, huzzah, lets party.
- Q.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)