Languages (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
Just a quick question with regards to language subjects offered by unis. Is there a difference between, say, 'Spanish studies' and 'Spanish'?

I've been reading all the subjects offered under arts degrees, I'm just worried that I'd think I was safe by going to a uni which offers spanish studies, only to find out that that just means courses in Spanish and Latin American history/literature etc. instead of actual straight up foreign language learning.

Also - anyone studying tourism or travel-related subjects for their degree, can I ask which degree you do and where? I'm interested in tourism but many of the Sydney unis don't seem to have as many courses in this area..

X

xeuyrawp

It'd probably help if you told us to which uni you are referring. I assume USyd.

If you're referring to USyd, Spanish Studies is basically the Spanish language. There's unit on Spanish Culture, which looks like a combination of the language and of cultural studies. Since there's a language requirement for that unit, I assume you look at Spanish texts. That's the only SPAN unit that's non-language based, though.

Looks like a similar thing for most of the other languages as well. :)

Check out the Spanish website for more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)