Laptop for uni (1 Viewer)

bubu

im thinkin about gettin a laptop for uni and i was wondering wat to get

at first i saw this 3.2 ghz toshiba laptop with 1gb ram and a 256mb graphic card and 17" inch screen except the battery runs out in like 2hrs

otherwise i was thinking of getting a 2.2ghz dual processor laptop made from a itbox or something which sounded pretty good but onli lasts for 1.5hrs so i dont no if i can get a more powerful battery for those comps and where can i get it

or do i not need such fast computing power for uni

since im a first year i have no idea wat type of laptop to get

i jus want to get one that will be suffice to use for 2-3 years at uni

thanks

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
I started out with a laptop, and it easily achieved all tasks I required it for uni work.

However, the major downside was realized once FEAR and CoD2 came out and would never run :'(

So for this year round I've opted for a nice Desktop computer. This lets me upgrade when I wont, for what ever purpose, and for far cheaper.

But I guess the main factors are:
  • How often you'll move the computer during the year
  • Whether you play games much
  • How much money your willing to spend
  • and, whether you'll take it into lectures or not (which i doubt)

anyways, thats my two cents

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
If battery life is what you want and you don't mind running Mac OS X, an Apple iBook will get 5-6 hours of battery life.

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
My folks bought me a laptop for getting into uni, but its for uni work. So only basic power. 1.4ghz, 256ram, 40gig HDD... pretty standard for writing documents and just browsing the net.

I have my main computer which I have just ungraded heavily for gaming and watnot.

So yeah, I'm just hoping that I can plug my laptop into a power point at uni as the battery only lasts for about 1 and a half hours when documenting and would like to keep it charged as much as possible

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Sydney Uni has a lot of spare AC outlets so you wouldnt have to use your battery. NOt sure about others though.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The best laptop for uni is the smallest and lightest one you can find. You will not want to carry and heavy laptop to uni very often.

But if you want to use it mainly at home, and need it to be powerful enough to play games, then go ahead and buy a powerful one. Just know that you probably won't want to be taking it to uni that often.

redd

HSC
N/A
whats a good cheap one, which is light? preferably windows based and also im only gonna use it for school work most likely, excel word etc

Hamishw

HSC
I got a Compa V3000 with an AMD Turion 64x2 processor, 512 BG RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 6500 Graphics Card. All for $1200 from JB-HiFi. It Windows Vista capable and fully future proof.

Hedgy

HSC
Heya,

look at it in two lights

-Their laptop's , so Weight,size,screen size, etc could be the defining factors of a purchase for you

-Or performance
Your definately looking in the right direction

"3.2 ghz toshiba laptop with 1gb ram and a 256mb graphic card and 17" inch screen except the battery runs out in like 2hrs

otherwise i was thinking of getting a 2.2ghz dual processor laptop made from a itbox or something which sounded pretty good but onli lasts for 1.5hrs so i dont no if i can get a more powerful battery for those comps and where can i get it"
Powerfull laptops have low battery life, fullstop.

Either buy a spare battery, well worth it compared to buying a less adequeate PC or opt for pentium M proccesors which are less beasty, but more efficient on battery life.

PS. Make sure you get WIFI!!!
- for all your uni Net leeching needs :p
...and msn in lectures :p

:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)