laptop help (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hey guys

need some help here...basically when i returned home and went to switched on my notebook, it came up with a disk error...however an hour earlier, it was working perfectly, and it astounds me how it went from a comp working perfectly to a comp in ruins, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jemsta said:
hey guys

need some help here...basically when i returned home and went to switched on my notebook, it came up with a disk error...however an hour earlier, it was working perfectly, and it astounds me how it went from a comp working perfectly to a comp in ruins, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Put the exact error message into Google and hopefully that will give you what the problem is.

You could also try taking the hard drive out and then putting it back in. That can sometimes fix the problem.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well it could be that your Hard drive is stuffed (bad sectors), our maybe corrupted windows files. Im pretty sure you can retrive your files by using your stuffed HD on another pc as a secondary drive and from there copy the things you need via windows. The only thing is im not sure about is if laptop HD's can be used as secondary HD's.

Last edited:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Hakz said:
Well it could be that your Hard drive is stuffed (bad sectors), our maybe corrupted windows files. Im pretty sure you can retrive your files by using your stuffed HD on another pc as a secondary drive and from there copy the things you need via windows. The only thing is im not sure about is if laptop HD's can be used as secondary HD's.
They can be...but it means removing them from the computer = voided warranty.

You're in a bit of a pickle...I'd suggest you RMA it if you can - see if you can get them to save your data / send you the damaged drive so you can attach SATA - to - USB thing on it.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
in the end the hdd was perfectly fine...there was a missing windows file which caused the boot up failure....which means i have to fucking format the whole thing.

you reckon any of those recover lost data programs work?

Visigoth

endgame.
HSC
jemsta said:
in the end the hdd was perfectly fine...there was a missing windows file which caused the boot up failure....which means i have to fucking format the whole thing.

you reckon any of those recover lost data programs work?
Depending on how you format you HDD, you can use programs to search for wiped out files. You can do a quick format, nothing thorough, and then you can recover the files.

But as you said there was a missing windows file which caused the HDD to not start up properly, it's better to connect it to the pc as a secondary HDD and retrieve the files from there. I would say this method is auguably less troublesome than than recovering using some program.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
simply boot to the xp cd, log onto the recovery console, and at the C:\> prompt type:

chkdsk /f

or

chkdsk /r

hit enter, and wait for it to fix the corrupt or missing files..

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ah thanks so much for the advice.

oh dan could you link the undeleting software plz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)