Late Submissions / Zero Marks for Trial Examinations (1 Viewer)

hatterene

HSC
Hey forum,
Due to the situation with COVID, many schools have moved their trial examinations online. However due to this, there occurs a lot of problems with the online nature of examinations which inevitably drive students towards getting a zero, such as taking long to upload, scanner not working, computer crashing, file erasing.

On the first day of my examinations, 10 minutes before the exam was about to end, my English Advanced exam booklet was completely erased and I couldn't turn back. I panicked and just copied and pasted in the general essays I prepared earlier and hoped for the best, but I ended up submitting late. However, I have a feeling a lot of other students have it worse.

I am not wishing to appeal my paper, I am content with it. Though, is there anything I should say to reason a late submission because I know the school will not accept technological issues as a reason for being late. Has anyone else ran into such problems or know how your school reacted to late submissions for trials?

Last edited:

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey forum,
Due to the situation with COVID, many schools have moved their trial examinations online. However due to this, there occurs a lot of problems with the online nature of examinations which inevitably drive students towards getting a zero, such as taking long to upload, scanner not working, computer crashing, file erasing.

On the first day of my examinations, 10 minutes before the exam was about to end, my English Advanced exam booklet was completely erased and I couldn't turn back. I panicked and just copied and pasted in the general essays I prepared earlier and hoped for the best, but I ended up submitting late. However, I have a feeling a lot of other students have it worse.

Is there anything I should say to appeal such events because I know the school will not accept technological issues as a reason. Has anyone else ran into such problems or know how your school reacted to late submissions for trials?
How'd it just vanish. Did you do it on google docs? If so you could go back to version history and find the previous essay. In regards to appealing it, it would have been more wise to bring this issue up immediately after completing the exam rather than waiting till now. You can try it, but the school's got their biases regardless if it did or didn't happen. You can only ask and pray at this point.

hatterene

HSC
How'd it just vanish. Did you do it on google docs? If so you could go back to version history and find the previous essay. In regards to appealing it, it would have been more wise to bring this issue up immediately after completing the exam rather than waiting till now. You can try it, but the school's got their biases regardless if it did or didn't happen. You can only ask and pray at this point.
I think there was an error trying to save it on Word. The essays were all there when I tried to save it, but when I pulled it up to upload, the document was empty. I went back and tried to undo but nothing would undo. It was just blank. The exam had just happened, and I recieved an email along with multiple other students regarding a late submission and we just need to provide a reason on why we submitted late. I am so anxious to complete the rest of my online trials, I have started a google doc and after every paragraph I type, I paste it in 😭😭.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think there was an error trying to save it on Word. The essays were all there when I tried to save it, but when I pulled it up to upload, the document was empty. I went back and tried to undo but nothing would undo. It was just blank. The exam had just happened, and I recieved an email along with multiple other students regarding a late submission and we just need to provide a reason on why we submitted late. I am so anxious to complete the rest of my online trials, I have started a google doc and after every paragraph I type, I paste it in 😭😭.
Ahh damn that's rough I feel you man. Same thing happened for math's last year where I forgot to upload an image of the final page of the exam. Dw at least you got something in for marking. I'm not sure saying you "copied a general essay" in would be a good idea, but you could just play on the idea that you had technical difficulties. There's nothing much the school can do in regards to the missing original essay so you might have to leave that part of the story out. They might be nice and let you sit another paper but that's unlikely. Sounds like your trials have just started. Just stay focused. This setback should provide you with even more motivation to do extra well in your upcoming assessments.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
First of all, my full sympathies towards your situation, I can feel how frustrated you might be. It is most likely that your school might've prepared in anticipation for this circumstance due to the unreliable nature of online examinations as it is quite frequent to experience technical difficulties, so I wouldn't stress too much and even if they don't, it would be extremely unfair to penalize someone on the basis of uncontrollable factors and highly unlikely they wouldn't work something out with you to give you a fair shot. You can try explaining that you experienced technical difficulties towards the end of the exam and consequently you weren't able to submit before the deadline; I doubt they can deny that even if they wouldn't accept "technological reasons" because its just the truth of the situation.

Once again my utmost sympathies, it must feel extremely terrifying for this to happen in your trials.

hatterene

HSC
Ahh damn that's rough I feel you man. Same thing happened for math's last year where I forgot to upload an image of the final page of the exam. Dw at least you got something in for marking. I'm not sure saying you "copied a general essay" in would be a good idea, but you could just play on the idea that you had technical difficulties. There's nothing much the school can do in regards to the missing original essay so you might have to leave that part of the story out. They might be nice and let you sit another paper but that's unlikely. Sounds like your trials have just started. Just stay focused. This setback should provide you with even more motivation to do extra well in your upcoming assessments.
I wasn't going to risk it. I planned generic essays for each module so I hope I could at least get a B. The main problem is the late submission!!!! The erasure is not bothering me too much because it is not incurring a penalty, so I won't put the effort in to appeal it.

hatterene

HSC
First of all, my full sympathies towards your situation, I can feel how frustrated you might be. It is most likely that your school might've prepared in anticipation for this circumstance due to the unreliable nature of online examinations as it is quite frequent to experience technical difficulties, so I wouldn't stress too much and even if they don't, it would be extremely unfair to penalize someone on the basis of uncontrollable factors and highly unlikely they wouldn't work something out with you to give you a fair shot. You can try explaining that you experienced technical difficulties towards the end of the exam and consequently you weren't able to submit before the deadline; I doubt they can deny that even if they wouldn't accept "technological reasons" because its just the truth of the situation.

Once again my utmost sympathies, it must feel extremely terrifying for this to happen in your trials.
Thank you!!! Learn from me and please back up as you go 😳. There are probably at least 30 late submissions by the end of this trial period at this rate, so at least I know I am not alone. I am just praying they have sympathy but I understand late submissions are completely our fault. I don't think it is worth it to appeal the fact that my doc disappeared, that sounds unbelievable as hell and it isn't a huge bother to me, compared to the late submission penalty.

hiiitsme

HSC
I wasn't going to risk it. I planned generic essays for each module so I hope I could at least get a B. The main problem is the late submission!!!! The erasure is not bothering me too much because it is not incurring a penalty, so I won't put the effort in to appeal it.
Personally, I highly recommend you appeal. Schools aren't as evil as you might think and may be understanding given the compromising situation. You would have a moderate case to make given that the essay you submitted will have no relevance to the question as despite being generic cannot possibly contain the key words or concepts presented in an unseen format, right?? I don't know how it could hurt unless there is an assessment policy saying you could not do that but given that they were online and typed it is likely that you were allowed to copy and paste then adapt during the exam as otherwise the school would have used a more secure software to prevent this. Definetly would go to a parent to aid your plight as having an adult in the situation will definetly improve your plight.

Best of luck for the rest of trials and would also solely work on Google Docs if you are comfortable with that to mitigate future issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)