LAW at ANU or UNSW?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
HELP!!- LAW at ANU (hecs) or UNSW (dfee)???

which is better at comm/law-ANU or UNSW? discuss job aspects, law cirrculumm, facilities, people there! thanks!

to be more precise, would u rather pay a dfee place at UNSW or hecs place at ANU?

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
uberlovesounds said:
which is better at comm/law-ANU or UNSW? discuss job aspects, law cirrculumm, facilities, people there! thanks!
Hi uberlovesounds,

In terms of reputation alone, the answer is UNSW.

(Note that you should really post your question here.)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
i'd say depends on where you live. If you live in NSW and got into Law at UNSW then it's most likely better for you to stay there rather than going to ANU.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Just make your decision based upon where you'd prefer to live, both universities have good law faculties. Besides, law degrees are fairly generic across the board (though I can't speak for commerce). In regards to ANU, If you live outside of Canberra and plan on staying in college there is a great student community living on campus and there's heaps to do. I'll admit that UNSW has its perks though, their law library has always been empty whenever I've gone there, so noone can steal your books!
If you live in NSW and got into Law at UNSW then it's most likely better for you to stay there rather than going to ANU.
Most people who were born in Canberra want to get out as fast as possible, most people who move down here tend to enjoy it, because they either live with friends or move into a college on campus.

PS: $17,000 per year just to go to UNSW isn't worth it IMO - I had that option and I would have been crazy to take it.

Last edited:
HSC
i live in melb... but im pretty much drawn in into the prestige of UNSW... but my dad's putting me down saying UNSW is just "Monash" and USYD is "Melb", so it really isn't worth the money.. ohh the new dfee fees are $19,500+.. but the sexciness of UNSW's law building is so appealing!

it's insanely crazy how ANU can jump from 96.50 (last year) back to 95 (also in 2004)..

sorry moonlight, i'll post it in the right forum next time.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
uberlovesounds said:
i live in melb... but im pretty much drawn in into the prestige of UNSW... but my dad's putting me down saying UNSW is just "Monash" and USYD is "Melb", so it really isn't worth the money.. ohh the new dfee fees are $19,500+.. but the sexciness of UNSW's law building is so appealing!

it's insanely crazy how ANU can jump from 96.50 (last year) back to 95 (also in 2004)..

sorry moonlight, i'll post it in the right forum next time.
UNSW is just as good as Usyd for law. Also, cutoffs at ANU are always a little weird because the university sets them as opposed to them being dictated by supply and demand. Oh, and I really don't rate ANU's law building. While it's quite nice on the inside it looks like a mansion set on a rural 1800s cotton plantation in Alabama.

Last edited:

mimiian

HSC
uberlovesounds said:
i can't speak for unsw law cos i never go there, but as an ANU law student, i can say that the quality of teaching in anu is quite good and the people are definitely very nice. ANU also has a reputation for international law.

people outside Canberra often say Canberra is a boring place, but if you live on campus, there will be plenty of things for you to do.

in regard to law library, the anu law library is not quite as modern as its counterpart in UNSW. in fact i think the law library is possibly the worst library in anu, especiallys compares to the one at science faculty and asian studies. oh well, at least it's very quiet in it.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mimiian said:
i can't speak for unsw law cos i never go there, but as an ANU law student, i can say that the quality of teaching in anu is quite good and the people are definitely very nice. ANU also has a reputation in international law.

people outside Canberra often say Canberra is a boring place, but if you live on campus, there will be plenty of things for you to do.

in regard to law library, the anu law library is not quite as modern as its counterpart in UNSW. in fact i think the law library is possibly the worst library in anu, especiallys compares to the one at science faculty and asian studies. oh well, at least it's very quiet in it.

Whenever we have an assignment due after a holiday I always end up studying at UNSW's law library. Some silly Phd student or staff member has always borrowed the book I need (along with like 50 others) and only returns it (after I've put a hold on it) once my assignment is done!

mimiian

HSC
neo o said:

Whenever we have an assignment due after a holiday I always end up studying at UNSW's law library. Some silly Phd student or staff member has always borrowed the book I need (along with like 50 others) and only returns it (after I've put a hold on it) once my assignment is done!
lol, perhaps they knew you are an ANU student and they took all the books deliberately in order to jeopardise ur assignment.

L

littlewing69

Don't be fooled by the low cut-offs. The Melbourne Institute ranked ANU Law School as third in the country behind only Sydney and Melbourne.

If you're interested in international law, politics etc. ANU is probably the way to go.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
for people that care about reputation and all, you do know ANU is higher ranked and higher regarded than UNSW?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
cbadvanced said:
for people that care about reputation and all, you do know ANU is higher ranked and higher regarded than UNSW?
As law moderator, in the interests of not misleading other students, I must correct you there.

Your statement is incorrect. And even if it were correct, no-one has any way of knowing because you have not given any evidence of any rankings that can be verified, nor any reasoning behind your statement.

ANU is a good law school, as I have said. But in NSW it is not more highly regarded than UNSW. Ask any law firm in NSW and they will tell you.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
dark_guevara said:
and its the onli university with international recognition
What do you mean by 'international recognition'?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mimiian said:
lol, perhaps they knew you are an ANU student and they took all the books deliberately in order to jeopardise ur assignment.
Nono, I meant that the books are never there when I need them back at ANU, but the UNSW library always has everything I need. I was insuating that noone ever uses the UNSW law library. Borrowing rights at ANU are stupid, by just working at a college bar you get near unlimited borrowing privelages.
Triangulum said:
What do you mean by 'international recognition'?
He means that ANU is China and that every other university in this country is Taiwan. He's obviously wrong though, because everyone knows that UNSW is China.
MoonlightSonata said:
ANU is a good law school, as I have said. But in NSW it is not more highly regarded than UNSW. Ask any law firm in NSW and they will tell you.
And the next Prime Minister of Australia would tell you...

Last edited:
HSC
neo_o, do u think it's worth for me to slave 15 years of my life paying off a student debt at UNSW? i got a dfee place btw, so the costs are astronomical!

or should i go to ANU and only pay hecs for 5 years? i heard u can go on a law exchange at oxford uni? is that true?

btw, i might do taxation or commercial law. so hopefully ANU is good at this.

mimiian

HSC
neo o said:
And the next Prime Minister of Australia would tell you...
haha, good point.

uberlovesounds said:
or should i go to ANU and only pay hecs for 5 years? i heard u can go on a law exchange at oxford uni? is that true?
i can't remember exactly but i think you can only go to exchange with Oxford if you are a graduate, you may want to find out more about that. even if you can't go to Oxford as an undergraduate, there are still plenty of other good uni you can do exchange with: Uni of California Berkley, Uni of Pennsylvania, NUS...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
There is an exchange to Oxford, but obviously it's fairly exclusive. I'm pretty sure that they only release one or two offers each year. I know that in the arts degree there is an internship offered at Congress in the United States. And uber, If I were you and was particularly keen on UNSW I'd do a year at either ANU or another university then apply to transfer. Even though you can do DFEE at UNSW and then apply for HECs later it's quite a gamble since you aren't assured of a place.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)