• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law? (1 Viewer)

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
whats it lyk and stuff...any1 doing 4 year concentrated one...do you recommened it?....ummm but yea..wats the uni like...is it alot better than UWS and close to MACQ/ANC lyk i here? teachers staff? practical experince?

sorry for the generalised and so mani questions, its just like many maybe, UOW is a new path for me, but one im becoming more and more interested in

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
way better then uws, like uts, usyd.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
If your asking whether it is on par academically, with say UNSW etc etc. Then IMO, yes, most definately. The material is practically the same cross most NSW law schools. In fact, UOW is recognised as having quite a challenging LLB, as in even in a combined degree, ur first year has to be straight law (which exceeds the normal credit load/semester). The textbook for eg in Criminal is the same as the one used at UNSW, in fact, one of our senior criminal lecturers, is the author of the book, which is practically used around the country. Many of our tutors are from USYD/UNSW also. I guess I could also note that the workload is very heavy and marking appears to be quite hard at times (as expected, i would expect this to be the case at ANU/USYD/MACQ...). In terms of facilities, we have a very good law library and the university is really helpful when it comes to computer access and study resources.

Having said all that, if your asking whether it is perceptually better, as in reputation wise, then USYD/UNSW, it is not. Unlike UWS, UOW doesn't carry a negative stigma, in fact nearly everyone praises the school, however due to its location outside of Sydney, it is often forgotten about. It is also relatively new, (was originally a branch of UNSW) and hence it can not compete with the sandstone reputation of USYD/UNSW. This is something which can not be created, yet needs to develop over time (and may well in the future). It is also of minor importance anyway. I know many successful law grads from UOW who have made top tier firms, barristers at reputable chambers, finance jobs at Macquarie Bank, overseas practice and so forth.

If ur looking for a friendly, laid back yet still academically sound uni which is directly out of Sydney or Canberra, then UOW is the answer. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)