Lawn Fertiliser Prac - What percentage yields of sulfate did you guys get? (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering, what kind of yields did you guys get and what is the actual accepted value?

For ours we used Potassium sulfate as our fertiliser. I used 4g of it to start off with. In the end my percentage yield was about 72%. Is that about right? Also is it possible to get yields of about 90%?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
you should be getting very low yields, like 20%, in the experiment because the main point was to illustrate how unreliable it is - however a higher percentage would hgave been attained if you actually implemented the improvements you suggest in the dot point. But yeh, just doing it normally shouldnt yield that high

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
you should be getting very low yields, like 20%, in the experiment because the main point was to illustrate how unreliable it is - however a higher percentage would hgave been attained if you actually implemented the improvements you suggest in the dot point. But yeh, just doing it normally shouldnt yield that high
I tried to make like the most accurate experiment known to man haha. We kept isolating the precipitate by decanting, but the thing we decanted, we added more BaCl2 and more precipitate formed so we kept doing that until none more formed. Took four attempts before no more precipitate was formed.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
I tried to make like the most accurate experiment known to man haha. We kept isolating the precipitate by decanting, but the thing we decanted, we added more BaCl2 and more precipitate formed so we kept doing that until none more formed. Took four attempts before no more precipitate was formed.
kool

You do realise though that in the Trial (CSSSA, NEAP, IND at least) and HSC they wont ask what percentage you got. They dont ask the numeric results of any experiments in fact, just observations and stuff. For that basically know how to improve accuracy of the experiment as thats a common Q.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Just wondering, what kind of yields did you guys get and what is the actual accepted value?

For ours we used Potassium sulfate as our fertiliser. I used 4g of it to start off with. In the end my percentage yield was about 72%. Is that about right? Also is it possible to get yields of about 90%?

HAHA. which private school do you go to???, you do 4 u maths and phys and chem, a person with those subjects would be expected to be somewhat smart.

obviously every fertiliser is going to have a different recipe, you cannot assume that they are going to be roughly equal!

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
HAHA. which private school do you go to???, you do 4 u maths and phys and chem, a person with those subjects would be expected to be somewhat smart.

obviously every fertiliser is going to have a different recipe, you cannot assume that they are going to be roughly equal!
lol do u surf BoS and try find people to cut
our experiment got f'ed. when heating the barium sulfate solution my teacher said dnt worry about it, then later she was like wait maybe the heating was to make bigger particles making it easier to filter, so we just threw it after filtering for 2 days

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
kool

You do realise though that in the Trial (CSSSA, NEAP, IND at least) and HSC they wont ask what percentage you got. They dont ask the numeric results of any experiments in fact, just observations and stuff. For that basically know how to improve accuracy of the experiment as thats a common Q.
ACTUALLY IF U WANT THE TRUTH, THEY CAN IN THE HSC AND THEY DO!!!

WANT PROOF???

LOOK AT QUESTION 27a IN THE 2003 PAPER HSC

random-1005

Banned
HSC

WANT PROOF???

he said they wont ask the percentage YOU get (in YOUR experiment) ie. you never need to remember the numbers you got, however they can make you calculate values from second hand experiment data

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
72% isn't wrong. Different fertilisers have different results. At school we got something like 52%, but at USyd, when we did it there, we got something like 74.2%.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
With regards to

WANT PROOF???

you obviously misunderstood. This is what i was saying:

he said they wont ask the percentage YOU get (in YOUR experiment) ie. you never need to remember the numbers you got, however they can make you calculate values from second hand experiment data
ofcourse they can get you to calculate a certain percentage and stuff.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh i knew that =p

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

I don't go to a private school.
Not that I am, but what if I was struggling in chem? Besides when most of the stuff in chem is just basically memorising stuff, a lot of the most obvious stuff slips people's minds as evident through pwnage not even mentioning your point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)