Lecturer-in-charge as tutor - Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
as titled. would they be more strict in terms of marking since s/he is the lecturer-in-charge for the subject?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lecturer-in-charge, tutor-in-charge... I'd say it's good.

And what do you mean more strict in terms of marking? Regardless of tute, I'd think that all tutors have to mark to the same sort of standard.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it doesn't really matter.
Pros:
For the tutorial, they know what they taught and what is going to be examined because they'll write it.

Cons:
Only one opinion/view/perspective for what they're teaching.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've had mixed experiences but in general the risk is that your lecturer won't bend the rules as much as if they were just a tutor. That is, they're very strict on deadlines, assessment tasks, and not giving away much for the final... whereas student tutors tend to be a bit more relaxed and might be more accommodating. The plus side though is that whilst they have limited perspective, the lecturer usually knows what they're talking about and what the point of something was. e.g. if you prefix a question with "From the lecture" then they can answer it- whereas most student tutors won't be attending the weekly lectures and hence can't answer things like that.

It really does depend on both the subject matter and the individual though. I've had some lecturers as tutors who were more flexible and supportive. Some will even take feedback on board from tutorials and adjust the lecture content accordingly if it's clear that some concepts need more attention.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It depends on the subject and could go either way. The benefit is that they know the material well (or should at least), while the disadvantage is that they will typically be stricter during the running of tests/marking of assignments & tests etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)