Likelihood of Prelims? (1 Viewer)

only99.97

HSC
Now that lockdown has been extended with the COVID-19 situation being worse than ever, what's the likelihood that prelims go forward? Many of my peers say it's most likely going to get cancelled, some teachers are saying they're unsure whilst others say prelims will definitely happen. Does anyone have an idea of how their prelims chances are going?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Considering the current situation, it would be quite difficult to have students come to school and sit their exams like they would under normal circumstances. The good thing about Preliminary exams, however, is that schools have more control over them, leading to more flexibility regarding how students will sit and complete their exams.

As a start, schools may delay the dates for their respective exams with the expectation that the situation will improve soon. If the situation remains the way it currently is, schools might be forced to find alternative ways of assessing students, which could include writing Preliminary assessment tasks that would replace the Preliminary exams, to be completed and submitted by students online. That way, students can still be assessed and their health will not be at risk. While I doubt schools will cancel Preliminary exams or replace them with estimates, this option might be considered as a last resort if the situation worsens beyond the ability of schools (i.e. gets out of control).

only99.97

HSC
Considering the current situation, it would be quite difficult to have students come to school and sit their exams like they would under normal circumstances. The good thing about Preliminary exams, however, is that schools have more control over them, leading to more flexibility regarding how students will sit and complete their exams.

As a start, schools may delay the dates for their respective exams with the expectation that the situation will improve soon. If the situation remains the way it currently is, schools might be forced to find alternative ways of assessing students, which could include writing Preliminary assessment tasks that would replace the Preliminary exams, to be completed and submitted by students online. That way, students can still be assessed and their health will not be at risk. While I doubt schools will cancel Preliminary exams or replace them with estimates, this option might be considered as a last resort if the situation worsens beyond the ability of schools (i.e. gets out of control).
I've heard there's going to be a HSC COVID-19 announcement tomorrow. Will that in any way affect prelims?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard there's going to be a HSC COVID-19 announcement tomorrow. Will that in any way affect prelims?
I believe the announcement will prioritise year 12 students as they are the ones that are the most affected by any COVID-19 related decisions that the government takes, mainly because all assessment tasks/exams they complete count towards their ATAR.

An update on Preliminary exams could also be part of this announcement, which will allow schools to determine what they will do with respect to Preliminary exams depending on what the announcement entails.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Bear in mind, though, that most schools will consider year 11s as HSC students / effective year 12s once the HSC is happening, so you will be a year 12 in effect well before next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)