list of scaling of subjects (1 Viewer)

dissonance

what does the scaled mean actually represent?

is this the average mark after scaling as taken place or before the scaling took place?

When I put marks into the lazseeker for extention music is says that more than 50% of cadidates got at least 48/50...which to me seems high anyway. But the scaled mean for music extension is something around 34.4/50 (i think)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmm I keep meaning to add that list to the site but I always forget - thanks for reminding me. :)

Before scaling, all courses are initially standardised to a mean of 25 and a standard deviation of 12 (on a 1-unit basis). The scaled mean is the average course mark after scaling has taken place.

For your example - the HSC mark that corresponds to the 50th percentile is 45.6 (not 48). This means that 50% of candidates received 48 or higher as their HSC mark. Last year, a 45.6 in Music Extension was scaled down to 33.8. This means that that same group of candidates received a scaled mark of 33.8 or higher.

33.8 is very close to the scaled mean, which was 34.3. Just under 50% of candidates would have ended up with a scaled mark higher than the mean.

blake

Yeah, does your school assessment work go towards your uai? Because on your uai calculator, it has hsc mark only, and its meant to be accurate?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There's a little message at the bottom of the LazSeeker program:
The HSC mark is the average of your aligned examination mark and your moderated assessment mark.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by blake
Yeah, does your school assessment work go towards your uai? Because on your uai calculator, it has hsc mark only, and its meant to be accurate?
school assesment marks dont do anything for the UAI, they jus determine ur rank
ur moderated assesment marks are distributed by ur rank order in ur school and how well ur cohort performs in the HSC exams

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As a sidenote, that list of scaled subjects is now available in the UAI/Scaling section of the website.

blake

so you're saying that I can go completely shit throughtout the year and go well in the hsc and get a good mark?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Although your raw school assessment mark doesn't contribute anything towards your UAI, your school assessment rank does.

Chances are, if you go completely shit throughout the year, you'll end up with a poor ranking which could decrease your final results by up to 30%.

blake

Originally posted by Lazarus
Although your raw school assessment mark doesn't contribute anything towards your UAI, your school assessment rank does.

Chances are, if you go completely shit throughout the year, you'll end up with a poor ranking which could decrease your final results by up to 30%.
So thats how they figure out a shit school that examines easy crap and a good school that examines harder stuff :)

blake

Laz since you're here :)

Do you happen to have any Catholic trials for 2u Religion?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Unless I was sent one in the past day or two, I'm afraid not - currently in the process of adding recently submitted files.

There's an abundance of Catholic schools out there, you'd think someone might be able to obtain one.

Lee

if the assesment rank counts and i have a crap rank and relativly good mark then what? just because i go to a sleective school and everyone does great and better than me, does my assesmnt ranking part of the uai calculation become really crappy?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You really should read the document on assessment moderation in the UAI/Scaling section of the website.

The assessment marks of your class are moderated according to how your class performs on the final exam - as you're at a selective school, your low ranking will be compensated by the rest of your class doing well on the HSC exam. The higher the average of the class, the higher the average of the moderated assessment marks, and thus the higher your moderated assessment mark will be.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thats what im banking on for 2U maths....to compensate for my poor ranking..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)