Locusts... (1 Viewer)

orchid_violet

HSC
well it seems to me more appropriate than a "quadrant" or "capture-recapture" method... perhaps the answer has not been suggested by any one of us yet... anyone put anything else reasonable?

Kirika

HSC
yeah ok see my post on last page?? that was what i put n since were all asking our dads i did ask him.. he has doctorate in agriculture, works for dept. of primary inductsries... he told me that stuff bout helicopters and looking at crops and also something about how they look at the shells once the locusts have hatched... but the questiion only askes to 'identinfy a method to estimate how widespread the infestation might be'... it doesnt say anything about the size of the population, just how you could tell where they have been...

elisabeth

HSC
My post was directed at DanielJ, but I'm glad that your dad said that Kirika, it sounds very logical and the closest to what I wrote. So I'm glad to have someone with a doctorate on my side :D

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
orchid_violet said:
well it seems to me more appropriate than a "quadrant" or "capture-recapture" method... perhaps the answer has not been suggested by any one of us yet... anyone put anything else reasonable?
I didn't even think of the capture recaturee thing, I just said something like "Set traps over a large area," I had no idea

Hardenne

HSC
i just said that you can look at satellite images, since the damage is so widespread, only that would give an accurate measure of the extent of damage.

And for the quadrat and capture-recapture method, is just seems too impractical, because like it says that the locusts travel over 100kms over night.

Bokky

HSC
lol @ capture recapture, yeh good luck trying to catch 200 million grasshoppers and tagging each of them.

I wrote the way to estimate how widespread an infestation would be is by 'checking weather observations to see how hot and humid it is, and thus how much crop yield there would be in an area' because in the extract it said "Locust's population relies ENTIRELY on weather and feeding conditions".

Hardenne

HSC
yeah your answer sounds 'scientific', and the back up from the texts is probably enough justification to get the single mark.

HSC
i think i was thinking the quadrant way, but if they had to estimate the locust infestation before, u'd probably not have the satellites view the locusts when they've underground, right? I had split between them 2, but chose the quadrant in the end..:S

epidemology - it's including the techniques, but don't we hafta specify it..?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Kirika said:
yeah ok see my post on last page?? that was what i put n since were all asking our dads i did ask him.. he has doctorate in agriculture, works for dept. of primary inductsries... he told me that stuff bout helicopters and looking at crops and also something about how they look at the shells once the locusts have hatched... but the questiion only askes to 'identinfy a method to estimate how widespread the infestation might be'... it doesnt say anything about the size of the population, just how you could tell where they have been...
right on!! i just wrote that it would be easier for them to track one day's activity and use it to predict their next pattern of movement. although i maybe should have added that they could use sattelite to see the damage already done...

frootloop

HSC
I linked this question with the 'evidence for pests' dot point in SFBH.

So you select random locations in the area and look for any evidence of pests, i.e. insect bites on the leaves... But is that distribution? Oh well.

Capture-recapture was in the syllabus Yr11 not in the syllabus in Yr12. We should expect that they only ask specifically for things we learn in yr 12 (with a background knowledge of the content from yr 11).

I'm not too sure but they will probably accept a whole range of things.

MiniT

Merlin The Sorcerer
Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun
HSC
I can't remember my exact answer but it was something along the lines of you count the number of farms in an area where locusts have attacked and that would be the estimate of the possible spread.

What did you guys have for the question about the microchipped cattle?

floerr

What did yous do for the bit after asking what extra info you would need to work out a way to stop them..or sumfing like that?

i wrote like what food they specifically eat (cos they only said crops so it culd be a range of stuf) so then u culd cpray with pesticides...

i really dunno i b/sd my way through that one

the question was very ambiguous, there could be 100 answers for it, oh well its a pity we never get to find out where we went wrong xcept multiples

H.A.L.

HSC
I wrote that you find out the locusts natural predator and release it into the environment.

The thing that pissed me off was the first part, asking for how you would determine the spread of the locusts. This was related to the preliminary course, can't remember which part but I remember writing notes on it. Basically on how the population of organisms are calculated. It had nothing to do with the HSC syllabus.

frootloop

HSC
H.A.L. said:
I wrote that you find out the locusts natural predator and release it into the environment.

The thing that pissed me off was the first part, asking for how you would determine the spread of the locusts. This was related to the preliminary course, can't remember which part but I remember writing notes on it. Basically on how the population of organisms are calculated. It had nothing to do with the HSC syllabus.
From memory, the question asked for abundance, i.e. how many there are not distribution, i.e. how widespread they are. (I checked my prelim. book)

H.A.L.

HSC
I really don't think it matters. Just pointing out that no where in the syllabus does it ask for you to find information on how to determine the "distribution" or "abundance" of animals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)