Long paragraphs. (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I have no idea where to place this lol. But anyway, when writing an essay, the way I structure it will be that each paragraph will go over a particular point. But, in one of my paragraphs, of one the issues I'm discussing, I go into it in extreme depth, but the only problem is that, it seems to be very long and seems to ramble on. Hence, would it be better to start another paragraph and link directly back to that issue, or would it mess up the structure and flow?

Need opinions!

accolade

HSC
Didnt you learn this during the hsc. Well in any case, i suggest you to separate those points into small and direct sentences. People marking it wont like your rabble and its long sentences.
And if you go into extreme depth on another subject and not alot in another subject, it would show that your paragraph isnt as strong as opposed to an equally distributed attention on both subjects. Well thats my opinion.

X

xeuyrawp

How long are you talking?

And yeah, why don't you just break it up? Sometimes I have a few paragraphs on one point - they're all just devoted to a piece of that point. Sometimes, two paragraphs cover the same idea and evidence, but are just separated because of readability.

I think it's better to have a slightly forced paragraph break than an excessively long paragraph... But it really depends on your style and the marker - usually I try to keep my paragraphs less than a page (double spaced, 3cm borders on all sides, plus ~15-20 lines of footntes), but sometimes they go for nearly two. It really depends on how you write, I think.

accolade said:
Didnt you learn this during the hsc.
I think I've disgarded everything I learnt from the HSC...

G

Gavvvvvin

I like to make my paragraphs about 80% of the page...just because I find it visually appealing :eek:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Don't worry about paragraph length; it's a purely aesthetic concern. If you say what you need to cohesively and coherently you'll be fine.

X

xeuyrawp

bringbackshred said:
Don't worry about paragraph length; it's a purely aesthetic concern.
No it's not... A paragraph is a discrete communication unit. Yes, it's aesthetically difficult to read and look at a paragraphless work, but there is a totally functional reason to have them. For example, it's been shown that readers of academic pieces will usually stop and reflect between paragraphs much more than anywhere else in the body of a work. It's how we're culturally programmed to digest information, and not having decent paragraph breaks gives the impression that an argument or a story is moving far too quickly.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
PwarYuex said:
No it's not... A paragraph is a discrete communication unit. Yes, it's aesthetically difficult to read and look at a paragraphless work, but there is a totally functional reason to have them. For example, it's been shown that readers of academic pieces will usually stop and reflect between paragraphs much more than anywhere else in the body of a work. It's how we're culturally programmed to digest information, and not having decent paragraph breaks gives the impression that an argument or a story is moving far too quickly.
I didn't say you shouldn't have them. And I agree with what you said, however it is pointless to start a new paragraph for the sake of it. A paragraph is a device where you relay and substantiate one point. If it takes the better part of 2 pages, ok, if it takes 10 lines, so be it. Therefore, a paragraph's length is a purely aesthetic concern. You don't start a new paragraph in the middle of making a point to make it look better; that's just stupid.

X

xeuyrawp

pwaryuex said:
Yes, it's aesthetically difficult to read and look at a paragraphless work, but there is a totally functional reason to have them.
bringbackshred said:
I agree with what you said [...] Therefore, a paragraph's length is a purely aesthetic concern.
...? olol?

You agree with what I said, but disagree with my main point?

I cbf arguing with you about it (you clearly have issues with reading), so look up a basic introductory text about discourse analysis... Find one of the ones that they give to primary teachers or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)