Looking to get into a good selective school for Year 9. (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Just finished Year 7 this year. Will be in Year 8 next year. I want to get into a good selective school like NSBHS, Fort Street, etc. for Year 9. Wondering if I'll make it with such results as these (reports, awards, certificates, results, and other stuff.)
(Current school ranking is ~220. I know, horseshit.)

REPORTS
Year 7 Half-yearly report: 7 A's, 2 B's. Letter of excellence.
Year 7 Yearly report: 7 A's, 2 B's.
11 days absent in total.

COURSE PLACING AWARDS
Year 7, half-yearly.
1st place, 1st place, 2nd place, 5th place, 7th place. Also 4th place Academic Excellence.
Year 7, yearly.
1st place, 2nd place, 2nd place, 2nd place, 4th place, 5th place.

COMPETITION AWARDS
Maths Olympiad Year 6: Highest Individual Score Trophy. Also a 10% Achiever Pin.
AMC Year 7: Distinction.

NAPLAN (if it matters):
NAPLAN Year 7, 2019:
Reading: high band 9.
Numeracy: Top triangle.
Grammar and Punctuation: Top triangle.
Spelling: Top triangle.
Writing: Top triangle.

Other tryhard stuff
Class captain, year 7. Certificate of Appreciation (whatever the hell that is.)

Other information (read this if you actually care)
Didn't do selective test for Year 7 entry at all. I don't know why. Oh yeah and I don't really do much sport, or any extracurricular activities either.

idkkdi

HSC
Just finished Year 7 this year. Will be in Year 8 next year. I want to get into a good selective school like NSBHS, Fort Street, etc. for Year 9. Wondering if I'll make it with such results as these (reports, awards, certificates, results, and other stuff.)
(Current school ranking is ~220. I know, horseshit.)

REPORTS
Year 7 Half-yearly report: 7 A's, 2 B's. Letter of excellence.
Year 7 Yearly report: 7 A's, 2 B's.
11 days absent in total.

COURSE PLACING AWARDS
Year 7, half-yearly.
1st place, 1st place, 2nd place, 5th place, 7th place. Also 4th place Academic Excellence.
Year 7, yearly.
1st place, 2nd place, 2nd place, 2nd place, 4th place, 5th place.

COMPETITION AWARDS
Maths Olympiad Year 6: Highest Individual Score Trophy. Also a 10% Achiever Pin.
AMC Year 7: Distinction.

NAPLAN (if it matters):
NAPLAN Year 7, 2019:
Reading: high band 9.
Numeracy: Top triangle.
Grammar and Punctuation: Top triangle.
Spelling: Top triangle.
Writing: Top triangle.

Other tryhard stuff
Class captain, year 7. Certificate of Appreciation (whatever the hell that is.)

Other information (read this if you actually care)
Didn't do selective test for Year 7 entry at all. I don't know why. Oh yeah and I don't really do much sport, or any extracurricular activities either.
Depends on the competition, because most schools have limited entry in year 9 (on the basis of how many people leave the school). Try Ruse, I heard they have quite a few people get in in year 9. You would have a much better shot trying for year 11 when the time comes.

HSC
N/A
Depends on the competition, because most schools have limited entry in year 9 (on the basis of how many people leave the school). Try Ruse, I heard they have quite a few people get in in year 9. You would have a much better shot trying for year 11 when the time comes.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

InadequateUser

HSC
N/A
Hello. I have a friend that attends James Ruse. You know who I'm talking about. JR is slightly challenging for him, but I believe that allows him to learn better.
I assume that you both are similar in terms of intelligence, so JR is a good school for you.

nsbhsIPTguru

HSC
As a current NSBHS student I would strongly advise against trying for a transfer into our school. Over 25 teachers (including head teachers in english, maths and science) have left the school over the past 1-2 years due to poor management. School is carried largely by the competitive student environment where a majority go tutoring rather than the teachers. If you want to come here for better education NSB is the wrong place. Would advise in going to other schools such as Sydney Boys, Fort Street or Ruse.

HSC
N/A
As a current NSBHS student I would strongly advise against trying for a transfer into our school. Over 25 teachers (including head teachers in english, maths and science) have left the school over the past 1-2 years due to poor management. School is carried largely by the competitive student environment where a majority go tutoring rather than the teachers. If you want to come here for better education NSB is the wrong place. Would advise in going to other schools such as Sydney Boys, Fort Street or Ruse.
Oh wow. Uhh. @nbshsIPTguru Thanks for the ego boost, I suppose.
Do you guys really think I can get into James Ruse? I don't want to waste a slot if I have a rather low chance of getting in.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow. Uhh. @nbshsIPTguru Thanks for the ego boost, I suppose.
Do you guys really think I can get into James Ruse? I don't want to waste a slot if I have a rather low chance of getting in.
Everyone’s going to have a different opinion and personally I think you have a decent chance of getting into Ruse, you’ll never know if you are good enough unless you try.

peepeepoopooman

HSC
I tried out for fort street (entry from year8->9) and i’d say that you’ve got a really good shot of making it. If your stronger subject is english, you should try out now as years 8-10 transfer only requires an essay, whereas in senior years, to apply you’ll have to sit a test where other subjects such as maths will be assessed. There are around 100 applicants who apply for years 8-10 per year, and around 3-6 are accepted. In regards to your report and extracurriculars, they are beyond amazing and will definitely stand out. Do remember that the essay is a major part of the application too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)