Lysosomes and Lysozymes (1 Viewer)

Dr_Doom

HSC
One text book described a lysosome as the enzymes that digest cell wall of bacteria in the tears, saliva and nasal secretions.

Then another said the same thing, but called it a lysozyme :|

So I'm thinking the first text book is wrong since lysozyme sounds like enzyme, so that would be the attacking enzyme. AM I RIGHT? Also then what would the lysosomes be for?

Petinga

HSC
Dont worry which term u use because both are the same its just different spelling. Its not english here so dnt worry how ya spell K

Master Gopher

HSC
They're not quite the same:

A lysosome is a cytoplasmic organelle containing various enzymes involved in digestion, etc.
Lysozyme is an enzyme present in saliva, tears, and inside lysosomes, which can attack bacteria via digestion.
So one is a structure, the other an enzyme. You can remember which is which because of the "zyme", but it's not all that important...

If you use them in the right context but with the wrong spelling (ie "lysosomes are present in bodily fluids and help defend against bacteria by destroying their cell walls") I'm sure the markers will know what you mean and mark you right anyway; I don't think we're actually meant to know about lysosomes as separate to lysozyme in that much detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)