Magic: The Gathering (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
who is or was interested in Magic: The Gathering? tell us all about it, ur worst defeats, ur greatest victories, if u still play, magic, nething!

transcendent

HSC
N/A
this game's old. i didn't play it much back in my day but even i knew the older cards were better and you can't get them these days unless you want to fork out alot of money for them.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I used to play heaps, it costs so much now there are so many new card types etc. I've got a drawer full of magic cards etc.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
hhahah i got conned into this game back in year 6... damn wasted alot of money too...
i quit after mirage ed came out... their up to like the 20ed or something now...

ive still got 3 decks still made i think...

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Orange Juice said:
hhahah i got conned into this game back in year 6... damn wasted alot of money too...
i quit after mirage ed came out... their up to like the 20ed or something now...

ive still got 3 decks still made i think...
mmmmm up to 9th edition now, and still going strong!

have to say, i think Wizards at the Coast are running out of ideas with their card mechanics...is there an end?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The rumour is that the next block will feature a "best of" mechanics theme, with a heap of the old mechanics brought back for one more go. That may just prove it...

I_F

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
well in the onslaught block they brought in cycling...i dont know what other 'old' mechanics there are...prolly the closest one now to date is bushido, which is the reverse of flanking - instead of the other creature getting -1/-1, ur creature gets +X/+X, X is the number after "Bushido" on the card. E.g. Bushido 3 would give the creature +3/+3 in combat.

insert-username, please remind me of these 'old' mechanics...i know there is cycling, banding, flanking...what else?

HSC
hey yeah i remember this game. my cousin won this huge deck in a competition, and i think i played the computer game demo back in the day.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
well in the onslaught block they brought in cycling...i dont know what other 'old' mechanics there are...prolly the closest one now to date is bushido, which is the reverse of flanking - instead of the other creature getting -1/-1, ur creature gets +X/+X, X is the number after "Bushido" on the card. E.g. Bushido 3 would give the creature +3/+3 in combat.

insert-username, please remind me of these 'old' mechanics...i know there is cycling, banding, flanking...what else?
Old mechanics include (from Mirrodin block back):

Affinity
Entwine
Imprint
Modular
Sunburst
Scry
Morph
Amplify
Provoke
Storm
Flashback
Madness
Threshold
Kicker
"Split cards"
Fading
Echo
Buyback
Phasing
Cumulative Upkeep

There's been quite a lot...

I_F

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I play at uni. Only started recently, but I also only play against the weaker decks of many of the better players.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Xayma said:
I play at uni. Only started recently, but I also only play against the weaker decks of many of the better players.
hmmm maybe u should challenge the better players to a specific format e.g. Standard, cos i reckon the better players would have cards from more than 5 years ago, now thats old school! (mirage, stronghold, urza's saga, etc...)

insert-username, thank you for the list. but, i was hoping that the list would only contain mechanics from 'old school' magic, i e Invasion and earlier. uve included pretty much ALL the mechanics lol.

ah yes...phasing, echo, buyback, cumulative upkeep, fading, kicker...those are the ones im looking for...but i am yet to see any new cards that resembles those mechanics...oh well. lets just hope magic doesnt get any more complicated!

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
hmmm maybe u should challenge the better players to a specific format e.g. Standard, cos i reckon the better players would have cards from more than 5 years ago, now thats old school! (mirage, stronghold, urza's saga, etc...)

insert-username, thank you for the list. but, i was hoping that the list would only contain mechanics from 'old school' magic, i e Invasion and earlier. uve included pretty much ALL the mechanics lol.

ah yes...phasing, echo, buyback, cumulative upkeep, fading, kicker...those are the ones im looking for...but i am yet to see any new cards that resembles those mechanics...oh well. lets just hope magic doesnt get any more complicated!
mate mirage wasnt old school... old school is ice age, alliances and homelands...

M.I.A-187

HSC
My greatest victory ever was in a free for all where my army of blastroderm, plated slag wurm (8/8 can't be target of opponent spell or abilities....and with overrun shit.) and some more simply shit over my friends (one of them was a really good player).

I played with new cards (yeah and i want the old ones cause they are deffinately a lot more effective in their jobs).

Also can enchantment, ALL creature get effect and enchant creature spell be used on creatures with the effect of can't be targeted by spells or abilities cause my friend said that you can cast it on them since enchantment are enchanment and not spells and shit like wrath of god destroy all the creature and not targeting.

Shit's fuck up.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
M.I.A-187 said:
Also can enchantment, ALL creature get effect and enchant creature spell be used on creatures with the effect of can't be targeted by spells or abilities cause my friend said that you can cast it on them since enchantment are enchanment and not spells and shit like wrath of god destroy all the creature and not targeting.

Shit's fuck up.
mmmmm dont understand this...i realise that some enchantments gives all or just ur creatures effects....but i disagree with ur friend that an enchantment IS a spell, so u cant target a creature that has "can't be targeted by spells or abilities". however, if it is allowed, u CAN enchant the actual enchantment itself, but i see little reason with doing this...

and yes, wrath of god will destroy all creatures...even with the "can't be targeted by spells or abilities" ability, since the card text doesnt specify targeting. key word. so that kinda sux w00t.

but then theres invulnerability from darksteel w00t that is immue to WOG.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC

Shit's fuck up.
Your friend is wrong. Enchant creature cards are still spells before and when they are played - anything in your hand that isn't a land is a spell (creature spells, artifact spells, enchantment spells, etc). :)

I_F

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
M.I.A-187 said:
My greatest victory ever was in a free for all where my army of blastroderm, plated slag wurm (8/8 can't be target of opponent spell or abilities....and with overrun shit.) and some more simply shit over my friends (one of them was a really good player).

I played with new cards (yeah and i want the old ones cause they are deffinately a lot more effective in their jobs).

Shit's fuck up.
If an enchanment such as Glorius Anthem is used then the creature will be effected. If something such as Fear was used then it can't. Things that affect all creatures aren't targeted. If a creature wasn't affected by any spells it would say so.

wwl

Slept, '06
HSC
insert-username said:
Your friend is wrong. Enchant creature cards are still spells - anything in your hand that isn't a land is a spell (creature spells, artifact spells, enchantment spells, etc).

I_F
actually it's only a spell when you play it...
a spell is defined as anything with a mana cost to be played as it is played.

of course theres exceptions. i.e. artifact lands.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)