Main round offers (1 Viewer)

counterman

HSC
Hey, i was wondering if i receive an offer for my first preference for the main round and i decide i prefer my 2nd preference, can i reject the first offer and try to get my 2nd preference in the later rounds ? what are the chances that i will ?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can, but the chances of receiving an offer in later rounds is considerably lower than in the main one.

It's best to accept any offer you get, and then try for another in the later rounds. You can always withdraw from the first course later on.

Last edited:

counterman

HSC
Thanks for your reply.

So, i can try for another in he later rounds ? How does that work ? If i accept my first offer, wouldn't other offers cease to be made ?

It's just I'm scared that i might change my mind in a week or two weeks time .

redox

HSC
You can accept your preliminary offer, then (if it was your first preference) change your prefs and still receive another offer in the main round.

Then if you decide to accept the main round offer, you can withdraw from the offer you accepted.

Right??

lionking1191

HSC
so if you reject your main round offer, is there a time delay before you offered your next preference? would that still be during the main round or late/final rounds?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It will be in the subsequent rounds, you won't get two Main Round offers afaik.

How many offers is it possible to receive in each offer round?
You can only receive one offer in each offer round. The majority of offers are made in the Main Round. Institutions only make offers in the Late and Final rounds if there are vacancies. http://www.uac.edu.au/faqs/faqoffers.html

counterman

HSC
So, if i get an offer for my first preference in the main rounds, can my 2nd preference be considered in the late rounds? Also, can i move my 2nd preference to 1st between the rounds even after i've received an offer for my 1st ?

spence

HSC
counterman said:
So, if i get an offer for my first preference in the main rounds, can my 2nd preference be considered in the late rounds? Also, can i move my 2nd preference to 1st between the rounds even after i've received an offer for my 1st ?
If you accept your first preference then any lower preferences won't be considered unless you move other preferences above the one you got an offer for

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not unless you reject your main preference I think. Late round offers are only made for any preferences above your offer, not below.

So put your first preference in your first preference slot, and if you don't get that have your back up later on.

Edit: beaten lol.

counterman

HSC
So, if i reject my 1st preference after being offered in the main rounds, i risk a slimmer chance of getting my 2nd preference in late rounds ?

Can't i accept the offer for my 1st preference but then move my 2nd preference to 1st and hope i might get an offer in the late rounds or even the final rounds ?

This is only going to happen if i do change my mind and i have every feeling in the world i might go one way or the other .

spence

HSC
counterman said:
Can't i accept the offer for my 1st preference but then move my 2nd preference to 1st and hope i might get an offer in the late rounds or even the final rounds ?
Yes you can do this and this won't jeopardise your first offer. Basically you should accept your offer regardless of whether there's another course you'd prefer

counterman

HSC
I agree with you there that i should accept my first offer because if i reject it, i won't get that offer again should i want it later .

The situation is, i'm sure i can get into both my first and second preferences. Without being conceited, if i put either of them as my first, i would get an offer. Though, they are for the same course but at different unis. However, after going to the open days yesterday, i was left pretty stumped - i liked both as much as the other .

So, with the chance of changing my mind later on, would you say there's a possibily that i might be offered a place in the course, should i change my 2nd preference to my first, in the late rounds ? i mean, i think i would have been a more than likely candidate for an offer in the main rounds, wouldn't i be considered first during the late rounds ?

counterman

HSC
sirfeathers said:
when do the first offers come out?
21st of January, 2009 - online

That is exactly like my situation . How many places are usually available for late round offers ? Is there a percentage ? What are the chances that Pwnange101 and i will get a later round offer ?

Last edited by a moderator:

sirfeathers

HSC
Pwnage i think i was standing behind you at the UNSW high achievers thing yesterday. girl in black shirt, jeans and orange backpack. i overheard someone talking about actuarial at Macq vs UNSW, and since there were precious few of us who weren't Med or Law, i figured it must be you :)

so Macquarie's the go?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
babikakez said:
Late round offers can only be made if there are vacancies left in the course - ie, people reject the offers or if the course was never filled.
yeh i understand that, but i just want to know my chances of getting a late round offer into B Commerce @ UNSW? because if they give out more than 20 late round offers into that course, i rekon my UAI will pull me in

i just ask incase i change my mind [so it in effect gives me an extra 2-3 weeks to think about it]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)