• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

marking textbooks? (1 Viewer)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
ok so this is going to seem like a really stupid, first yr question, but i dont want to do it and then not be allowed to sell back my books when finished.

are we allowed to mark textbooks? like highlight in them etc?? will i still be able to sell them second hand if i do highlight / write brief notes in them?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If you're selling them to the WUSA bookshop you can mark or write in them. They're you're books and you can do what you want....but the more writing and highlighting the less you're gonna get for them.

If you sell them privately, as in putting a notice up on a notice board with your number so people can call you, you can do whatever you like to them, again it will just dictate how much the buyer is willing to pay. You'd obviously pay more for a textbook that although second hand, is in very good condition with minimal-to-no markings, than a second hand one that has been 'well-loved' so to speak.

As far as selling them back to the unishop goes this is the first year they've introduced it and I highly doubt they'd take back textbooks with writing and highlighting all through them.

I guess it depends what degree you're doing too. You can't really give away you law textbooks because you need to refer back to them in later subjects and they will be useful to some extent in your career. Same would go for Commerce subjects I would imagine.

But if they're just random books you're not going to need again, it probably helps to recoup the hideous expenses textbooks can bear if you sell them on.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
when selling them privately.....the amount of markings may even be seen as a benefit to some other students....

i know if i was looking to buy a book, i wouldnt mind to have some of the key points highlighted/underlined....

easiest way is to just underline in pencil....u cna rub it out if u wanna, or just stick post it notes on the pages...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)