• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

math dept strict on adv subject requirements (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are the maths department strict on the requirements for doing 2nd yr adv subjects, or can you just enrol? (i.e. you know you have to get a credit in the 1st yr subs to do adv 2nd yr, what if you just miss out? Will they still let you enrol, if you go to see them?) I know the requirement is low already at credit, but I just want to reassure myself :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea i believe you can do it, long as your mark is well enough...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
didnt we all lol

tennille

HSC
velox said:
I know, i said that in the initial post, i was wondering if they were flexible. I think i screwed my exam today.
I'm not sure about the maths department but there has been a time when I just missed a distinction for a subject and I spoke to the course coordinator and they allowed me to do the corresponding advanced subject. Email the coordinator when you receive your marks.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
velox said:
I think i screwed my exam today.
Haha, I think a lot of people believed they did. As long as you got out at least half the extended questions and did well in the quizzes (which were pretty easy), then hopefully it will scale to a credit...:D
I reckon, this year's exam was much harder compared to previous years (e.g. I don't think anybody anticipated that they had to prove e was irrational in the exam), so don't worry too much.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1902 is not that hard... is it?!

2904 (or what ever algebra is coded) is unpossible...
btw tennile, doing chem honour next year?!

tennille

HSC
I'm trying to decide between chem and biochem honours. Third year chem is a lot of hard work and I'm a bit turned off. I'll see how next semester goes.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
which lab did you do in first sem?

personally, i liked inorg > org > pt... man pt's really random...

also, you will need to choose a workshop (either pt, org or inorg) for the 2nd half of 2nd sem... apparently, it is rumoured that the one you chose will turn out to be the one you hate

(i chose org workshop... and i vowed i'd never ever do org again in my life...)

tennille

HSC
Velox: Pretty much. I was considering doing a phD and then eventually becoming a lecturer/researcher at a uni, but I'm not so sure now. I'm not really interested in medicine, although I did consider dentistry at some stage, but at this point, uni is really shitting me and I really don't want to spend another four years there. :p

Xiao: I did inorganic then physical. I enjoyed both of them, but I'm so sick of the orals we have to do. I'll probably be doing one of those for the workshop next semester.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Wow... I loved oral. Though the organic yield I was getting is very disappointing. =/

Despite that, I still chose organic workshop... which disappointed me further =/.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)