Mathematics Course (1 Viewer)

annaboyal102

HSC
Hello, has anyone completed the Maths 1011 course at UNSW? I haven't completed mathematics in year 12 and I was curious as to whether it is a difficult course?

quickoats

HSC
Hello, has anyone completed the Maths 1011 course at UNSW? I haven't completed mathematics in year 12 and I was curious as to whether it is a difficult course?
Did you do any maths in year 11? What degree do you intend to do?

annaboyal102

HSC
Which major in particular are you looking at? It would depend.
Specifically Biology, I looked at the course structure and it is pretty confusing. I am hoping to be able to do fundamental mathematics in the degree rather than through a bridging course if possible?

quickoats

HSC
The biology major only requires MATH1041 (intro stats) which requires at least General maths. MATH1011 would be a good course to take in your first term to get up to speed with quantitative stuff. Since you haven’t done maths since year 10, it won’t be easy since you’re covering brand new concepts that you’ve never seen before.

annaboyal102

HSC
The biology major only requires MATH1041 (intro stats) which requires at least General maths. MATH1011 would be a good course to take in your first term to get up to speed with quantitative stuff. Since you haven’t done maths since year 10, it won’t be easy since you’re covering brand new concepts that you’ve never seen before.
Would you say that taking a bridging course before my degree would be a better option?

quickoats

HSC
No, the UNSW bridging course is for 2 Unit students who didn’t do 3 Unit.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW also offers the TAFE Essential Mathematics for Higher Education Course in partnership with TAFE for students who have no background in Mathematics Advanced, so this might be an option to consider instead of UNSW's Mathematics bridging course, allowing you to reach UNSW's assumed knowledge for your chosen degree.

Alternatively, you can take the introductory statistics unit which quickoats mentioned and see how you go.

quickoats

HSC
Oh dang, so how would I go about learning fundamental mathematics?
You’d do it in your first term (MATH1011) just to get you back up to speed. You might have to put in quite a bit of effort since a lot of the concepts will be new to you, but since they’re at a fundamental level, you should be able to use resources eg Khan academy to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)