• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics/Finance Degree (1 Viewer)

stiggles0

I was just wondering....i'm currently in year 12 and doin my HSC and i have applied for newcastle uni and was wonderin if anyone is doin B Finance or B Mathematics coz i was wonderin what its like. I was thinkin of doin B Maths and doin a co-major in Finance as well....also would I be able to handle the Maths coz i'm doin ext.1 at the moment and averaging about 80-85%. Cheers

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Uni maths is a lot harder than high school maths, it gets exponentially harder.. I did MATH1510 - induction, perms & combinations, probability are the easier topics in it. You'll either love Uni maths or hate it, I guess.. ?

The finance degree will be pretty easy mathematical-wise, I'm getting by in Commerce no problems.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
stiggles1 said:
I was just wondering....i'm currently in year 12 and doin my HSC and i have applied for newcastle uni and was wonderin if anyone is doin B Finance or B Mathematics coz i was wonderin what its like.
I'm currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Engineering (civil) / Bachelor of Mathematics Degree and I have thoroughly enjoyed (and done well in) the three maths subjects I have done so far (MATH1110,MATH1120,MATH2310) I didn't do the required advanced maths first year because of a timetable clash with an engineering subject, but that is no problem as I'm doing an extra second year maths subject next semester that brings me back up to where i would be if i had done advanced maths

stiggles1 said:
I was thinkin of doin B Maths and doin a co-major in Finance as well....also would I be able to handle the Maths coz i'm doin ext.1 at the moment and averaging about 80-85%. Cheers
If you are averaging that in 3u maths you will be able to go well in the maths courses at uni, provided that you enjoy maths and are willing to do some study. I was averaging around the same in 3u maths and found the first year maths courses that i did relatively easy. You would have no trouble whatsoever with the first year advanced maths either :), as that isn't that much harder than the normal strand.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
80-85 in ext1 you will cruise 1st year maths! good luck to you. One piece of advice tho, know your integration and log laws.

stiggles0

Thanks Guys

Hey thanks guys...i like a bit of a challenge and don't mind a bit of study so I think i'll go alright at it and i got 98% in my 3-unit intergration test we had this year. Anyway, good luck guys with ur uni and hope to see ya there next year!....One last question, I was thinkin of having a year off next year to work and get some cash......do you reckon this is a good idea or not?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
stiggles1 said:
I was just wondering....i'm currently in year 12 and doin my HSC and i have applied for newcastle uni and was wonderin if anyone is doin B Finance or B Mathematics coz i was wonderin what its like. I was thinkin of doin B Maths and doin a co-major in Finance as well....also would I be able to handle the Maths coz i'm doin ext.1 at the moment and averaging about 80-85%. Cheers
I thought I would just bring to your attention that you can do a Bachelor of Finance with a major in Quantitative Finance. It mixes Finance with Maths, so that might be of some interest to you:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
evilc said:
You would have no trouble whatsoever with the first year advanced maths either :), as that isn't that much harder than the normal strand.
Is it true that the Advanced Maths courses incorporate the same topics as the normal courses, the only difference being that they go into more depth:)?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Merethrond said:
Is it true that the Advanced Maths courses incorporate the same topics as the normal courses, the only difference being that they go into more depth:)?
yeah, thats pretty much true

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
in reply to the year off. it might sound tempting although you may forget some math, that is the only problem. if you are good tho, first year may seem like a year off :D however im pretty blasted atm so my advice is probly way off YAY OKTOBERFEST

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)