Maths private tutoring or Dr Du? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,
I was wondering if private tutoring for maths is worth it or if Dr Du or other centres such as Target coaching, and Ngo and Sons are better. If private tutoring is better, do you know where I can find tutors? Thanks!

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Unlike English, maths is a pretty straight shooter subjects. There’s one answer and you’re either right or wrong. You can make the argument of self study but you’ve got to have the discipline to do this. Private or centre tutoring really depends on what you like. You should inevitably learn the same things regardless. You will not do well if you don’t self study and do practice papers on your own.

geik

HSC
personally, being a du student myself, I've seen an incredible increase in my own marks, ranging from 70ish% to mid-90's, if you are the type of person who is willing to try hard, and put in the hours for maths, then dr du enhances that hidden quality inside you. They might be known for being strict and disciplined, but rather you'll learn (should you join) that they encourage the prosperity of maths within their students, to build a fundamental understanding and then to expose you to a multifaceted array of questions that mimic the HSC, if not harder (which is honestly why so many students get a b6/state rank in 2u/3u/4u). On the expense side, it can get a bit demanding, but if you're someone whose willing to pay for quality education, then you'll find dr du a great place.

moonsuyoung

HSC
N/A
personally, being a du student myself, I've seen an incredible increase in my own marks, ranging from 70ish% to mid-90's, if you are the type of person who is willing to try hard, and put in the hours for maths, then dr du enhances that hidden quality inside you. They might be known for being strict and disciplined, but rather you'll learn (should you join) that they encourage the prosperity of maths within their students, to build a fundamental understanding and then to expose you to a multifaceted array of questions that mimic the HSC, if not harder (which is honestly why so many students get a b6/state rank in 2u/3u/4u). On the expense side, it can get a bit demanding, but if you're someone whose willing to pay for quality education, then you'll find dr du a great place.
Thank you so much!!! If I do Dr Du, do you know what I need to study for the Year 10 entrance test? Oh and also, is A3 classes worth it?

geik

HSC
personally, i joined after year 10, so I really wouldn't know what would come in your test. From what I've heard, they usually take a random test (out of the 7-10 that they jumble through) and then give you it to do (no pun intended) under timed conditions (for usually 35-40 mins). Also I think it would be better if you studied some of the preliminary year 10 content to enhance your mark in the test, as they usually take the topics that the students are learning at the tuition, just so that they are aware that you can sit in the same class as the students learning. As a kid in the a3 class myself, I can validate that the classes are the same as perhaps A2 or A1, however the classes just run at different speeds to ensure that everyone UNDERSTANDS the content. Personally, and from most people that I know, we would prefer to go higher up, for the perks (and bragging rights) but when it boils down to doing well at school, A3 kids do just as well as kids from A2. Maybe the A1 kids are a bit too sweaty lol. :)

p.s. there is a lot of hype for in-class quizzes as they enable students as Du to advance up the ranks (B,A3,A2 and A1), so you don't have to stress if you don't make it into your preferred class at your first try.

Ksalu

HSC
hi! I recently did the dr du test and got into Year 10 A3 for term 4. Im not sure if it would be the same for you but from memory, topics that got tested mainly included logs, trig, trig identities, exponentials and polynomials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)