Maths rorting! (1 Viewer)

ajmason87

HSC
Having done 3U maths this year (2U and ext 1) i was shocked to see that if ext 1 maths had counted for 2 units my UAI would have been in the vicinity of 3 pts higher. Fortunately, this will not mean the difference between getting into a course and failing narrowly. However, i am sure that a handful of students (at least) across NSW would be majorly affected by this flaw. This is a result of 4U students having ext 1 and ext 2 counting for 2 units each. Why the english system of 2U + ext 1 + ext 2 cannot be used is well beyond me, after all a 4u student should be able to blitz the 2U exam and boost its scaling, so as no-effect would be passed on. Having sat in a 3U class with my 4U classmates for the same length of time and completed the same assessments it seem highly unfair that 3U maths should be twice as important for them. As we know the difficulty of subjects should not affect it at all in unit counting, purely time as in 100 or so indicative hours is meant to be the only measure. Is it fair for 4U students to exploit the system in such a way? Perhaps all 4U students should do accelerated 2U maths in year 11? To me it seems that my friends economics should count as 3 units while mine should count as 2 because he does geography, as they are considered different subjects.

Last edited:

香港!

HSC
To me it seems that they shouldn't have compulsory English!!
And even if they did, they shouldn't make it compulsory to count as part of your UAI. @_@

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
Heres a solution, pick 4 unit maths and dont dumb down.... it is a lot of work and a lot of stress... none of which you had..

sarahn

HSC
chubbaraff said:
Heres a solution, pick 4 unit maths and dont dumb down.... it is a lot of work and a lot of stress... none of which you had..
i have to say i entirely agree with that - of all the two unit subjects, extension two maths is definitely the most work by far

you cant really compare english adv. and english extension two, whereas two unit maths forms the basis for three unit and four unit maths, and two unit syllabus material can be tested in any of the extension maths exams....also not all schools (eg. mine) allow year 11s to accelerate in two maths....

ajmason87

HSC
chubbaraff said:
Two problems: I have already finished yr 12 (apart from which i wouldnt consider doing ext 1 as dumbing down) and u are missing the point, work and stress in ext 2 maths shouldnt be rewarded by doubling 3 unit maths as it is really a subject in its own right

HSC
Well if you wanted Ext 1 and 2 Maths too only count for 1 unit each....then that would enter 3,000 odd Ext 2 into the 2U maths rankings and scalings....and of course some of these guys would absolutely hammer the 2U ppl....so think about it.....and they deserve it.....it requires a lot of hard work.....in some cases afternoon classes...there is a reason why the BOS has made it this way.

ajmason87

HSC
ok say they dont do any study or care at all and get 0 in the HSC for ext 2, is it fair that ext 1 counts for 2 units? the current system would have to support this

volition

arr.
HSC
Well, in my case, it certainly would've been to my advantage to have 'done 4unit' and bludged it up, seeing as my UAI was 94.6, when i was aiming for 95. If I had done 4unit, and bludged it to get 3unit to count for 2, and done some other subject to make up the extra units, I probably would have gotten 95. (especially considering the fact that my 3unit mark was 45/50, which would convert to 90/100 in what is a very good subject to do well in)

ajmason87

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
and of course some of these guys would absolutely hammer the 2U ppl
ahh yeah, scaling ensures this will not affect 2U people

HSC
ajmason87 said:
ok say they dont do any study or care at all and get 0 in the HSC for ext 2, is it fair that ext 1 counts for 2 units? the current system would have to support this
well if they dont do any study or care they shouldnt be doing it....and yes it is fair that it counts for two units...and if you are getting 0 in ext 2 it your ext 1 mark would be shit too so theres no point in doing either.

i see your point as you could of got a better UAI, but your better off the way it is. If the Ext 2 people had 2U to count they would push your ranking down anyway and therefore get a lower UAI.

and man, you dont do Ext 2, so you dont realise how demanding it is too actually do well.

ajmason87

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
what do you mean by that?
this is so pathetic, dont u know how the HSC works, yes my ranking wud go down in 2U, but scaling wud cancel it out because it wud go up accordingly, bringing it back to equilibrium

ajmason87

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
and man, you dont do Ext 2, so you dont realise how demanding it is too actually do well.
thing is u dont actually have to do well to get a fat UAI contribution, based on 2004 scaling bottom 8% in ext 2 maths is the same in terms of UAI contribution as top 30% in advanced english, go figure! and again difficulty of a subject should not be a factor towards its units, simply time. Think about this, say u do 11 units, which includes 3u maths, is it impossiblr to make 3u into 4u and do 12 units, not care about 4u at all and cash in with two times the 3u weighting and, u wouldnt have to care about 2u either. Its very possible, and i doubt that it doesnt happen with very scrupulous students

HSC
ajmason87 said:
this is so pathetic, dont u know how the HSC works, yes my ranking wud go down in 2U, but scaling wud cancel it out because it wud go up accordingly, bringing it back to equilibrium
yes i do know how the HSC works......and no it scales on the difficulty of the course and how well the people go in it....the bottom line is that the ext 2 people deserve ext 1 to count for 2 units....you should be happy cos they would smash the 2U ppl

yook

HSC
ure a fag
dont make assumptions when you dont know how demanding the course is
the four unit one that is..
its worth 3u being counted as 2u

HSC
ajmason87 said:
thing is u dont actually have to do well to get a fat UAI contribution, based on 2004 scaling bottom 8% in ext 2 maths is the same in terms of UAI contribution as top 30% in advanced english, go figure! and again difficulty of a subject should not be a factor towards its units, simply time. Think about this, say u do 11 units, which includes 3u maths, is it impossiblr to make 3u into 4u and do 12 units, not care about 4u at all and cash in with two times the 3u weighting and, u wouldnt have to care about 2u either. Its very possible, and i doubt that it doesnt happen with very scrupulous students
well if you want to sit through 4 terms of extension 2 maths purely so you can make ext 1 count for 2 units by all means do it....but its not worth it is it?

香港!

HSC
yea the 4u students are expected to achieve a band 6 in 2unit maths if dey did it, dats wat BOS says

ajmason87

HSC
yook said:
ure a fag
dont make assumptions when you dont know how demanding the course is
the four unit one that is..
its worth 3u being counted as 2u
do u know wat a fag is?
do u know me at all?

I want u to tell tell me wat a fag is and then tell me y u think im one. Go ahead, im in the mood for a laugh.

I think everyone is forgetting that difficulty of any course should not be rewarded with the doubling of units in another different course in its own right, for all its worth the ext 2 course could be as hard as brain surgery, but again it doesnt matter. There are no prerequisites for having ext 1 count for 2, apart from ccompleting the ext 2 course, ie rocking up for 5 assessments and an exam, and twiddling your thums for 2 hours.

ajmason87

HSC
talk about assumptions, the bos says anyone that even does 4 Unit would get a band 6 in 2unit haha.

ajmason87

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
well if you want to sit through 4 terms of extension 2 maths purely so you can make ext 1 count for 2 units by all means do it....but its not worth it is it?
u kidding? i would for 3 UAI points, anyway id just make paper aeroplanes, text message, listen to music or something all year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)