Medical Radiation Science transfer (1 Viewer)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hi there, just a quick question, has anyone tried emailing usyd about NRSL cut off for MRS? i've tried but she wouldnt budge..anyone else have any luck?

hotpot

HSC
dunno if it helps, but i know a few ppl who has transfered into MRS with uais of ~ high 80s, and all they needed was a passing average.

But then again, they were all from the cumberland campus, and a couple was simply transfering between one MRS course into another... however, they still needed to reapply through the UAC, so i guess their history within the cumberland campus shouldnt really impact on the transfer...

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hotpot said:
dunno if it helps, but i know a few ppl who has transfered into MRS with uais of ~ high 80s, and all they needed was a passing average.

But then again, they were all from the cumberland campus, and a couple was simply transfering between one MRS course into another... however, they still needed to reapply through the UAC, so i guess their history within the cumberland campus shouldnt really impact on the transfer...

hey! thanks for the reply, yea i mean the uai cut off for MRS aint that high 83ish-89?
but what i wasnt sure was, if the NRSL cut off will be above or under the uai in general, so yea.

thanks for the reply though!

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
just a update folks, i emailed usyd

she said that 18uoc is enough to transfer as a full time student.
and its actually combined gpa+uai.

i was also wondering people who say NRSL cut offs are usually lower than uai cut offs..is there a reason for thinking that?
and how common is this occurance? usually with courses under a certain uai cut off band? say 89 or something?

sakura_05

HSC
Hi Densuki, Yeah i wonder the same thing too, ppl keep saying
NSRL cut offs are lower, why???
Which MRS are you planning to tranfer to?
I applied for Diagnostic Radiography *fingers cross*.
Hey you live in Cabramatta?? i live near there!! :)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
sakura_05 said:
Hi Densuki, Yeah i wonder the same thing too, ppl keep saying
NSRL cut offs are lower, why???
Which MRS are you planning to tranfer to?
I applied for Diagnostic Radiography *fingers cross*.
Hey you live in Cabramatta?? i live near there!! :)
hey! yea i submiited both diagnostics and radiation therapy,
i wanted a more patient face to face kind of job, i dont know why but maybe its just the satisfcation and knowing your patients progress from day to day, ill get more of that in radiation therapy, than diagnostics.

so flipping between the two, but i complted both questionaires and ill change my preferences soon.

but if you dont mind you can get in contact me, just add me would be cool to meet up with a bos member!

Last edited:

sakura_05

HSC
Cool! I’ll add you to msn. Radiation Therapy was one of
my preferences too but people studying MRS have told
me in terms of job opportunity Diagnostic Radiography
is really high in demand at the moment.
I was torn between the two but finally decided
that I was more interested in the technical side of radiography.
Hope to see you next year at Cumberland!!

Good luck!!! ^__^

hotpot

HSC
radiography is boring involving a lot of memorising of pointless stuff and theres also quiet a bit of essay writing :p i know cuz i do it.

In second year and third, theres a bit more pathologies etc for those who likes science. Clinical is fun and you probably learn more there than the lectures. As long as you can get through the first year... very boring ><

HOwever! Radiographers are a vital component of the healthcare team system and im not trying to scare ppl from the course :p Just correcting because I expected more from radiography when i enrolled...

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Hey hotpot, so first year is boring huh? well atleast i know what to xpect now. im looking forward to more hands on and pathalogy stuff.
thanks for the advice, if you have time, or u know where i ccan look things up a more detailed over view of the course?

thanks.

sakura_05

HSC
Hi Hotpot

cool! You're in first year Diagnostic Radiography ^__^.
I might have seen you around campus. If i remember
correctly BHS students shared lectures with MRS students
in the first semester (Human Biology and Radiobiology).
Anyways on the subject of lectures i want to know what
you thought about Structure, Function and Disease B?
I did Structure, Function Disease A this semester and
thought it was hard!! I heard B is like twice as hard!! Thanks.

hotpot

HSC
sakura_05 said:
Hi Hotpot

cool! You're in first year Diagnostic Radiography ^__^.
I might have seen you around campus. If i remember
correctly BHS students shared lectures with MRS students
in the first semester (Human Biology and Radiobiology).
Anyways on the subject of lectures i want to know what
you thought about Structure, Function and Disease B?
I did Structure, Function Disease A this semester and
thought it was hard!! I heard B is like twice as hard!! Thanks.
I didnt like sfdA... musculoskeletal involved too much terminology and what is connected to wat :p haha u know wat im talking about! In sfdB, u cover the basics of renal, reproductive, digestive, neuro, immunology, infection control and neoplasia... theres considerably less memorising anatomy because the anatomy is rather simple (apart from neuro) and more so if u can understand and "digest" the bulk of the information.

So Sakura? Have u done radiobiology with Dana Strain? Radiobio was :confused:. Like I said, theres a number of subjects in first year that does exactly come into use in the clinical field. The whole point of these subject is to hammer the message that "radiation is bad" into your head AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN...

Physics is also a vital component of the course, you will be doing it through out ur 3 years no matter wat stream of MRS you decide to join. If physics is not your cup of tea, plz reconsider MRS! However, for those who did HSC phys, you will find that a lot of stuff from quanta to quarks, and ideas to implimentations will come into use.

:wave:

sakura_05

HSC
It sounds boring :( My friend told me about this show on SBS, anatomy for beginners, I watched it and it was on the Digestive system. I missed a couple of episodes but found it would be useful for SFDB, too bad I found out kinda late!
Is it just me?? I find Dana Strain’s lectures very tedious especially Blood and its Disorders, I think she has a monatomic tone. Stuff goes through one ear then comes out the other!
A lot of physics?? Physics wasn’t my strongest subject in high school but I like it way better than chemistry!!! Thanks for the insight ^__^
Hey you’re having your clinical in a few weeks right?? Did you get to choose where to do your placement? I also heard that in year 2 or 3 you have to do placement in a rural area?

hotpot

HSC
sakura_05 said:
It sounds boring :( My friend told me about this show on SBS, anatomy for beginners, I watched it and it was on the Digestive system. I missed a couple of episodes but found it would be useful for SFDB, too bad I found out kinda late!
Is it just me?? I find Dana Strain’s lectures very tedious especially Blood and its Disorders, I think she has a monatomic tone. Stuff goes through one ear then comes out the other!
A lot of physics?? Physics wasn’t my strongest subject in high school but I like it way better than chemistry!!! Thanks for the insight ^__^
Hey you’re having your clinical in a few weeks right?? Did you get to choose where to do your placement? I also heard that in year 2 or 3 you have to do placement in a rural area?
HAHAHA Glad u feel the same way about STRAIN!!! :sleep:

Yea, theres 1 week clinical in first year, 18 weeks in 2nd year and 12 (i think) in third year, and u have to do at least one rural in taht time and a variety of private and public settings. Of course u get to pick where ever u wanto go in Australia (and over seas if u want), but u may not always get ur choice because theres a number of unis throughout NSW that teachs MRS meaning tehre is some form of competition for clinical places.

Although the UAI cutoff seems relatively low compared to other medical paraprofessional courses, the course does involve quiet a bit of difficulties. That said, nuclear med and radiation therapy is probably both harder than radiography :eek: .. one of my friend just failed NM... Best of luck to them :wave:

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Hi guys recieved my marks back today, didnt do too well, my NRSL is 87.xx
think ill still get in? cut off was 89 uai.
side qtn for a friend, she has 82.7NRSL, wanting to get into radiation with a cut off of 83.xx ,she looks safe right? do i?

hotpot

HSC
Im just curious, how does this nrsl thing work?
Do you convert gpa into a mark out of 100 (based on that table floating somewhere in BOS)? and not just ur wam right?
And then just average that mark your uai?

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
pretty much on the mark, theres a link on the front transfer page to a pdf file which shows everything u need to know to work out your nrsl.

hotpot

HSC
Hi all,

For those who are interested in studying Applied sciences (MRS) diagnostic radiography next year, I have copies of:
1. "Introduction to radiologic sciences and patient care", Adler, Carlton (rrp $80, selling for $50)
2. "Textbook of radiographic positioning and related anatomy", Bontrager, Lampignano (rrp $200+, selling for $130)

Both books are in EXCELLENT condition (you wont find a single crease in them) and are THE prescribed textbook for radiography. Once you start uni, u will be forced to buy the textbooks anyways because all the lectures, assignments, exams etc has material out of these textbooks.

You will find both books useful throughout the whole 3 years of your course, the only reason im letting them go is because i have quit radiography and will be leaving sydney.

I also have 2 booklets of radiographic physics which contains the basic physics of particle&matter for those who missed out on HSC physics as well as deeper physics concerning radiography. Willing to get sell whole package for $200... will negotiate. PM me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)