Medicine Experience (1 Viewer)

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
''What activities (paid employment, work experience or voluntary) have you undertaken, in addition to your studies, which indicate your motivation to study medicine?''
Hi,
How do I fulfill the requirements of this? I am in Year 12 Currently. The problem is I want to get experience in any way in hospitals if that's possible currently. Is it? And what possible ways are there? I wouldn't mind any of voluntary, work experience or the rest.
Thanks

sabz1996

HSC
I just had work experience at one hospital but it required two months of getting the damn form filled as they want vaccinations done for everything, blood tests to make sure you're immune and not just had the vaccine, etc. And everything had to be signed by the GP with supporting evidence -.- Anyway, ask your careers advisor if they can organise anything for you or otherwise just get in touch with the hospital yourself or even make up your own form and ask your GP.

p.s. my work experience was for nursing and they didn't offer GP and the work experience was for one week where we got to rotate to a different ward each day.

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
To be honest you're doing this very late. This is the problem with most students if you haven't prepared yourself for this earlier you would have lots of trouble especially since it's your HSC year. Like what sabz1996 said you need up to date vaccinations and screening for certain diseases which could take a while and the paperwork is just annoying. If you were born here it would be easier but if you were born overseas such as China or a TB prevalent country it could take even more time.

Perhaps try GPs but they don't even like medical students around. Only real way to get around this is to have a family friend. You just have to have your fingers crossed that other students won't have such an extensive experiences.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
To be honest you're doing this very late. This is the problem with most students if you haven't prepared yourself for this earlier you would have lots of trouble especially since it's your HSC year. Like what sabz1996 said you need up to date vaccinations and screening for certain diseases which could take a while and the paperwork is just annoying. If you were born here it would be easier but if you were born overseas such as China or a TB prevalent country it could take even more time.

Perhaps try GPs but they don't even like medical students around. Only real way to get around this is to have a family friend. You just have to have your fingers crossed that other students won't have such an extensive experiences.
I have other volunteering exp (at aged cares homes) and various ones for charities and such, but none at an actual hospital or medical centre. Is that not good enough?

Fade1233

HSC
N/A

Thanks. I didn't know that you could get experience(1). I thought in year 11 to get experience but yeh back to (1). Fingers crossed that I can make it in JCU. True, thats going to happens, GP's wont take a HSC student. I know a friend who has experience but he goes to opthamalogist and is a receptionist at a private medical centre. damn

Medman

HSC
I have other volunteering exp (at aged cares homes) and various ones for charities and such, but none at an actual hospital or medical centre. Is that not good enough?
Depends on how you word, embellish and sell it to the interviewers. You could be the most social person in the world but still screw up the interview. There are red flags and there are certain attributes they look out for.

Thanks. I didn't know that you could get experience(1). I thought in year 11 to get experience but yeh back to (1). Fingers crossed that I can make it in JCU. True, thats going to happens, GP's wont take a HSC student. I know a friend who has experience but he goes to opthamalogist and is a receptionist at a private medical centre. damn
Yeh you really need contacts or you need to be an early bird. Last year my 2 students who got into JCU had very extensive extra-curricular activities.

Last edited:

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Depends on how you word, embellish and sell it to the interviewers. You could be the most social person in the world but still screw up the interview. There are red flags and there are certain attributes they look out for.

Yeh you really need contacts or you need to be an early bird. Last year my 2 students who got into JCU had very extensive extra-curricular activities.
Damn. What am i doing with my life? Should have been an early bird. Damn social is not so much my thing either. Anything else i can do besides try to get more experience because i know a friend who goes there and yeh he had a lot of exp too but he rejected his med offer cos he then grew interest into actuary.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Just wondering, I've done work experience at Westmead Hospital for about a week in cardiology, and before that I've shadowed my parents in their hospital workplaces many times (30+). Is this a sufficient amount of 'experience' or are they looking for volunteering in nursing homes and the like?

enoilgam

HSC
This is very applicable to all things, not only medicine. Having great social skills is only ONE part of being successful in any interview. A job/scholarship/medicine interview is an exercise in salesmanship and you are the product. You need to be an expert at selling yourself and part of that is having a strong understanding of what interviewers want. So look carefully at the criteria, build your experience around that and make sure you are an expert at selling it.

Medman

HSC
Just wondering, I've done work experience at Westmead Hospital for about a week in cardiology, and before that I've shadowed my parents in their hospital workplaces many times (30+). Is this a sufficient amount of 'experience' or are they looking for volunteering in nursing homes and the like?
That is probably more than enough experience but like enoilgam says it's all about how you sell it to the interviewers. There are skeptics who say you can't practice for interviews, which is absolutely false. If you go in prepared I will guarantee you will do better than if you didn't prepare. It is like everything in life.

bangladesh

HSC
That is probably more than enough experience but like enoilgam says it's all about how you sell it to the interviewers. There are skeptics who say you can't practice for interviews, which is absolutely false. If you go in prepared I will guarantee you will do better than if you didn't prepare. It is like everything in life.
Couldn't have said it better

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
How much worse could it get for me.... I guess I have to learn to accept whatever is to come.

Medman

HSC
How much worse could it get for me.... I guess I have to learn to accept whatever is to come.
No use comparing yourself to others at this point in time. Do your best to boost your CV if not focus on your exam scores and if you get an offer, practice hard for the interview. If you don't get in this time round then you know where you need to make improvements.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
No use comparing yourself to others at this point in time. Do your best to boost your CV if not focus on your exam scores and if you get an offer, practice hard for the interview. If you don't get in this time round then you know where you need to make improvements.
So how do i actually get better at interviews. I am already trying my hardest in year 12 so not much more for exam score.

Medman

HSC
So how do i actually get better at interviews. I am already trying my hardest in year 12 so not much more for exam score.
Research questions and get friends or family friends who has gone through this to help you or if you have money to spend find a tutor and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Last edited:

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Research questions and get friends or family friends who has gone through this to help you or if you have money to spend find a tutor and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
Thanks for tips. [emoji3]

fatassmcfat

HSC
wait why are people preparing for interviews now? isnt umat results in late september?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)