Microbio (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
For Microbiology Labs, would the lecturer Takayama also be a good Lab demonstrator?

Cheerz

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No, she doesn't take the lab or tute components of the course. You will get tutors that are probably PhD students and occasionally honours students. But the tutors are usually very good.

However, Kathy is a fantastic lecturer, who has won the University Teaching Award before.

I hope you'll enjoy MICR2201. It's a really great course.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hiya Survivor!

Thank you for your reply! Weird well, actually I'm not sure, but if you look here:

http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2007/MICR2201.html#S1-4910

in 4910--> She's the instructor for this lab.

Yup I've browsed this course's textbook and it definitely looks engaging, I believe this course will be fantastic if Kathy is indeed a good lecturer!

P.s. If I somehow bump into you, it would great to personally thank you for the help you've given to us 1st year science grads.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, sometimes the Timetable can be misleading. It may well be she's also taking the lab component of the course for 2007 but I think she might be too busy since she usually take 50% of the lectures in the course, as well as lecturing micro courses in third year. She's extremely busy because most lecturers have their own labs and research to run on top of teaching. However, you may get John Wilson (the other course coordinator) for lab and tute.

haha. I'm sure you'll see me running around the Bioscience building next year looking extremely stressed with the "why-are-my-experiments-not-working" look on my face. :D

Rekkusu

HSC
Haha I'm sorry if I'm impolite, but is your name Si-ming?

Wow, okay, lol the John dude looks pretty puffed up all the time, but he has a rather amusing personality! Ergh >< This year's timetables are totally weird, I have 3 core courses in 2nd semester, and only 2 in 1st semester.

hahahaha, or better yet I'd be seeing you running around in a lab coat with glasses, looking totally like a pro scientist!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yep that's my name.

yeah John is always like that but he likes to give you exam/test tips so it's good to listen to him :p

Rekkusu

HSC
Cool!! Totally nice to know that you're doing courses/majors almost same to mine! You're so helpful with the course info as well! :)

Wow okay, I'll definitely head to every microbio lecture! It's just the Fundt Biochem is such a hassle this year! All the lectures are at 5-6pm, and on one my days I have to go in just for that 1 hour lecture xD

Still I suppose the only doubt is whether microbiology is a good research job that's in demand, but it should be in a way be a good.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah when I joined this forum I can't find a "role model" since no one was majoring in Micro and immuno.

*coughs* not that I'm that good of a role model to anyone now. :D

Somehow they completely changed the timetable for all BABS courses. I think they needed to update it from the ancient timetable. So unfortunately some of your classes are placed in weird time slots.

Rekkusu

HSC
:mad1: I know! This centralised system is going way down!!

The Babs lab times no longer have 10AM-1PM slots either...they're all afternoon!!

:rofl:heh! Who said you weren't a good role model?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
John Wilson and Kathy Takayama are awesome. Like Survivor39 said, it probably isnt that likely that they'll take any tutes or labs, but if they do then you're bloody lucky.

Rekkusu

HSC
Cheers thanks for the info Babydoll!

Wow, if I'm not mistaken when I was reading you and Survivor's 2005 session 2 results, it looked like Genetics was a pretty gay course to do...

Though seeing how Survivor was able to kill microbial genetics, I'd assume that its only 2021 being a wam-killer.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
The key issue is that plain Genetics is boring. You study things like fruit flies, which is pertinent I suppose, but still boring.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
is genetics just a re-run of highschool stuff or does it get exponetially difficult? (i mean, 53, it must have been really hard)

is it a core subject or a subject of medmicro/immuno major ?? coz im gonna have to do it then...

Rekkusu

HSC
Thanks for the replies babydoll and Route!

I wanted to know since I'm still contemplating as to whether to major in this or not =p Though maybe its only 2021 being a boring pre-requisite. Actually are any of you doing Genetics as major?

Cos Physiology seems like a pretty hard course to do as well after seeing what marks some ppl got for it.

Genetics is merely an elective off Med Immuno major. But its the only core subject in stage 2, for students wanting to take Genetics as a major.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's not a re-run of high school genetics - trust me. :p

*coughs* I didn't really understand half of the stuff that were taught

There aren't that many people majoring in genetics - probably because most people got turned off by 2021/2621.

I've never done physiology before so I can't comment. I think the assessments are taugh from what I've heard. But the final exam involves an open book prac test so that's pretty good.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
is genetics just a re-run of highschool stuff or does it get exponetially difficult? (i mean, 53, it must have been really hard)

is it a core subject or a subject of medmicro/immuno major ?? coz im gonna have to do it then...
Are you switching from com/law to law/sci?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Physiology is interesting but extremely detailed. There's a lot to remember... you tend to get lazy and tune out, then BAM you've got a giant assessment and you realise you know nothing at all. So constant study required

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)