Microscopic membrane filters (1 Viewer)

meyero

HSC
Do Microscopic membrane filters filter dissolved solids, coz my teacher said so and i thought she was a dumbass at the time but i was just checking.

PS she really is a dumbass and i hate her she hasnt prepared me for 2moz and im getting stressed, how can a teacher like that be allowed to teach chemistry? Sometimes i wonder if she has ever done a course on chemistry!

danno

i think they do.

dont take it for certain though, i probably know less than you :)

googleplex

HSC
yeh you wanna know how good our teacher was she didnt even fucken do the water topic

now the way I see it, this is year 9 shit: dissolved solids can't be filtered.

but with nano-sized membrane filters can they?

DAAVE

HSC
MM filters will get rid of ANY particles that are larger than their pore size. This includes dissolved ions.

LSP

HSC
membrane filters are used to filter microorganisms, small particles as Paroissien said
BUT do not filtrate dissolved solids like ions

LSP

HSC
nothing can filter dissolved solids unless it is done through gravimetric analysis

helper

HSC
N/A
Membrane technology uses osmosis and does seperate dissolved solids.

Paroissien

HSC
LSP said:
nothing can filter dissolved solids unless it is done through gravimetric analysis
Where did you pick that 'fact' up from?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They can't filter dissolved solids. Well possibly the larger atoms but not anything small like NaCl

eth

HSC
Xayma said:
They can't filter dissolved solids. Well possibly the larger atoms but not anything small like NaCl
Quite clearly they can, cos it works by reverse osmosis.

helper

HSC
N/A
How do you think they desalinate water for drinking by membrame filters. Been in the news in Sydney for the last week?

sub

hey xayma do u do industrial...? cos in the NaOH production the membrane filter CAN and does stop Cl- and OH- from moving through while Na can...so "yes" MM can filter dissolved solids (using NaCl as an example)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
sub said:
hey xayma do u do industrial...? cos in the NaOH production the membrane filter CAN and does stop Cl- and OH- from moving through while Na can...so "yes" MM can filter dissolved solids (using NaCl as an example)
I do shipwrecks.

Cl<sup>-</sup> is smaller then 10<sup>-9</sup> metres if not then oh well. How can it stop OH<sup>-</sup> The best way would be to have an anode and cathode on opposite sides so the neutral water goes through.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)