Mid-degree deferral (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
anyone here who's already done 1 or 2yrs of uni but intends to take a year off mid-way through their degree?

i went straight from HSC to college, no gap year. i love my course and my subs, but don't want to start this semester. Just not very motivated, and it's so far from home!! :(

basically, i wanna finish my advertising cert. this year and get some part-time work and then go back to uni for the next two years.

does that sound wise?? really i'm just worried that taking longer to get my degree will delay chances of getting a 'real' job... but i guess there's no rush... :confused:

thnx :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure how Avondale works, but I know with the uni, I think the maximum you can take to complete a 3 yr degree is 6 (or 10 part-time), so as long as you fall within the time limit allowed, you should be fine. Lots of people take Leaves of Absence during the degree (um.. is one of them) and I think provided you realise when its time to go back to uni, you should be fine, sure it may be hard getting off your butt after that long to go back to a semi-structured environment, but it seems as if you will have that anyway, and in all reality, the time off will probably do you good, and you may restart more motivated than ever before.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
oh that's right it's called 'taking leave'

thanks hipsta_jess, good advice!

if they allow my scholarship to be put on hold, i'll do that :)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
they won't let me!! unless i have a good reason in writing...
hmm, time for plan B :p

doe

HSC
N/A
do it, i reckon about 5 years in total is an ok time to be spent slacking/at uni. i read somewhere (cant remember where it was ages ago) the av. grad starts "real" work aged 25. i started uni in 1999, took a year off in 2002, it had taken me 3 years to finish 1st year, came back 2003 and finished last year. i came back with a massively renewed interest and commitment to doing well, and my marks got much better (f/p/cr to cr/d/hd) even though my workload was far greater.

at macuni you get 10 years to finish a degree.

get their definition of "good reason"

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yea i wanna :) just gotta work out some glitches...

i think they mean things that happen which you can't really avoid, such as:

*not being able to afford it (even with FeeHelp and scholarship) [saying this would be a half-truth, i could afford it (thnx to my parents) but it would be a struggle]
*major illness (would need doctor's cert as proof)
*serious injury

stuff like that. i doubt they would classify doing other studies as a 'good' reason, as it was my choice to enrol in the 'other' studies.

really i just want a break! i've been getting cr/d/hd's so far, (only coz i had almost no life and didn't ever sleep enough..) was like a zombie some days... almost burnt out.. and it would be worse than that this year cause i'm not v. motivated :rolleyes: (have to work up some effort for my cert IV), but it'll be easier not being 100's of kms from home...

meh.. i'll get around it somehow ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)