minoring (or majoring) in a language at macquarie uni? How is the department? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I think my major will be politics or international relations and after doing a bit of research into the career paths of these majors, many sites and information I have read encourage the fluency of at least a second language. I have some background in learning French and considered continuing this study as a minor at Mac Uni.

I just wanted to know whether minoring in French at Mac uni would provide sufficient amount of knowledge to speak French at a professional working proficiency.
Having studied languages I understand that I would need to continue studying the language long after graduating to keep it proficient.

I also wanted to know what the language department is like at Mac Uni from a student perspective and how much emphasis is placed on speaking and language skills as opposed to culture. Also the quality of the course and teaching in general and the support and how organised is the language department.

I'm just asking because I think for the major I am choosing a second language will be beneficial but I want to know whether it is worth minoring in a language at uni or completing a diploma or course in French or another language instead, also I am tossing up between some other minors and want to know if it is worth it. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)