Modern history or maths standard 2? (1 Viewer)

periodmami

HSC
Wow, what a conflicting situation I'm in.
I'm going into year 11 this year, and all of this world war 3 chat has made me realise how much I love studying war and understanding all that is 'Modern history'. I'm super interested in the way the world operates, and I want to learn all about it. On the other hand, I also consider maths to be a very important subject, but I am conscious that standard 2 won't take me anywhere (I usually received roughly 50-71% in maths exams and above 85-90% in year 10 history).

So now I'm stuck with this;
maths standard 2 or modern history?

I want your opinions;
  • if you did modern, how did you like it? Is it as 'content heavy' as they say?
  • if you were stuck in the same position as me, what did you choose?
  • Are these too many 'essay oriented' subjects?
My other subjects are;
1 English extension + advanced
2 drama
3 visual arts
4 society and culture
5 studies of religion
6 (maths or modern)

Thank you to everyone who is willing to help me! (I'm aiming for a 92 atar btw)

idkkdi

HSC
I'm going into year 11 this year, and all of this world war 3 chat has made me realise how much I love studying war and understanding all that is 'Modern history'. I'm super interested in the way the world operates, and I want to learn all about it. On the other hand, I also consider maths to be a very important subject, but I am conscious that standard 2 won't take me anywhere (I usually received roughly 50-71% in maths exams and above 85-90% in year 10 history).

I want your opinions;
My other subjects are;
2 drama
3 visual arts
4 society and culture
5 studies of religion
6 (maths or modern)

If your career path has nothing to do with math don't bother taking standard. Take advanced+ if your future aspirations involve math. Otherwise, do modern history.

periodmami

HSC
If your career path has nothing to do with math don't bother taking standard. Take advanced+ if your future aspirations involve math. Otherwise, do modern history.
they don't, I literally want to get into NIDA or do psychology.

1-99

HSC
N/A
Mod History will work in your favour if you're:
1. Really good at retaining information
2. Really good at essay writing

foxxraven

HSC
I second idkkdi, if you're sure that you don't need maths for uni, then swap it for modern. Also consider which subject you would do better in, if it's modern, I'd say go for it and change it. I'm doing modern this year and did elective history in 9-10, and l agree with 1-99, it helps if you're good at essay writing and info retention. You also need strong source analysis skills, which I guess plays into essay writing and also be good at discussions/looking at different POVs/ethics etc, all that sort of stuff.

ultra908

HSC
I would go as far as to say do maths adv. I'm not sure of your unique circumstances, but maths adv just opens up so many new doors and opportunities. Many unis r now asking for adv as a prereq for some major courses. To me, it makes sense because your interests and passions and goals beyond school can easily fluctuate and change. Its difficult when you end up wanting to do something, but you don't have the opportunity. It just seems like a sacrifice (if you want to think of it that way) for so much benefit.

Of course, if maths adv is a big no I would say do modern.

Not directly related, but I notice you're doing a performance subject (drama) and two major work subjects (visual arts and SAC). Have you considered the heavy workload associated with these in HSC year?

periodmami

HSC
I would go as far as to say do maths adv. I'm not sure of your unique circumstances, but maths adv just opens up so many new doors and opportunities. Many unis r now asking for adv as a prereq for some major courses. To me, it makes sense because your interests and passions and goals beyond school can easily fluctuate and change. Its difficult when you end up wanting to do something, but you don't have the opportunity. It just seems like a sacrifice (if you want to think of it that way) for so much benefit.

Of course, if maths adv is a big no I would say do modern.

Not directly related, but I notice you're doing a performance subject (drama) and two major work subjects (visual arts and SAC). Have you considered the heavy workload associated with these in HSC year?
I have, but i work better with big projects, so ill see how it goes :)
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately, my skills in math would make advanced an impossible class for me to pass, and the classes are full.
Thank u tho :))) i choose modern

scottie_wy1973

HSC

I want your opinions;
My other subjects are;
2 drama
3 visual arts
4 society and culture
5 studies of religion
6 (maths or modern)

I'm doing modern this year and did elective history in 9-10, and l agree with 1-99, it helps if you're good at essay writing and info retention. You also need strong source analysis skills, which I guess plays into essay writing and also be good at discussions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)