Modern History or Physics? (1 Viewer)

Zzz

HSC
Hey. I just need some help regarding choosing the right subject for Year 12. I’m currently doing
Economics
English
Maths Advanced
Physics
Modern History
Retail Certificate III
So far, I have performed reasonably well across all subjects in year 11. Now for year 12, I’m planning to 10 units and I’m hoping to join the police force. I have decided to do either drop Modern History or Physics. I messed up my final History test even though I knew every bit of the content. I couldn’t relate to the sources that were provided and could structure a well response to it. For Physics, I was just hoping to drop it to focus more on other subjects as it requires a lot of effort. So I’m confused whether I should keep History or Physics because I performed poorly even though I knew the content and my teacher isn’t helpful at all as well. Could you guys provide me some help on whether I should keep doing history or physics? Would it be harder to learn analysing and everything in History than Physics? I enjoy the topics but find the sources to be very confusing. About my interest, it would be a little bit in both of them. TIA

MonKey1919

HSC
I do physics in year 12 and it requires a lot of effort. There's a lot of information to understand, calculations to do and it's pretty difficult (at least for me) especially module 8. IDK how it compares to modern history, but I think that physics is harder than history in terms of difficulty. Maybe if your teacher isn't being helpful maybe ask your peers for help, the first ranking student.

GL

Zzz

HSC
I do physics in year 12 and it requires a lot of effort. There's a lot of information to understand, calculations to do and it's pretty difficult (at least for me) especially module 8. IDK how it compares to modern history, but I think that physics is harder than history in terms of difficulty. Maybe if your teacher isn't being helpful maybe ask your peers for help, the first ranking student.

GL
I’m doing physics rn as well. My thoughts are if I have to put effort to improve in History, then continuing in Physics would be better in terms of scaling and career opportunities as I’m doing well in Physics as well. Another question, we just do the yr12 physics textbook and four modules for hsc and not everything from yr11 and 12 right?

MonKey1919

HSC
I’m doing physics rn as well. My thoughts are if I have to put effort to improve in History, then continuing in Physics would be better in terms of scaling and career opportunities as I’m doing well in Physics as well. Another question, we just do the yr12 physics textbook and four modules for hsc and not everything from yr11 and 12 right?
Yeah but in some questions there will be some expected knowledge as an application type question. For example, in a motor effect question I was doing (you haven't learnt this yet) you had to apply knowledge about friction on slopes and force down--> mgsin theta.

Zzz

HSC
Yeah but in some questions there will be some expected knowledge as an application type question. For example, in a motor effect question I was doing (you haven't learnt this yet) you had to apply knowledge about friction on slopes and force down--> mgsin theta.
So finally, what would you do if you were in my place?

MonKey1919

HSC
Well i'm better at physics than I am at modern so I would go for physics. But I feel like if you're not good at both, then its far easier to get better at modern history than physics. Take my advice with a grain of salt though because I haven't done modern history.

idkkdi

HSC
Hey. I just need some help regarding choosing the right subject for Year 12. I’m currently doing
Economics
English
Maths Advanced
Physics
Modern History
Retail Certificate III
So far, I have performed reasonably well across all subjects in year 11. Now for year 12, I’m planning to 10 units and I’m hoping to join the police force. I have decided to do either drop Modern History or Physics. I messed up my final History test even though I knew every bit of the content. I couldn’t relate to the sources that were provided and could structure a well response to it. For Physics, I was just hoping to drop it to focus more on other subjects as it requires a lot of effort. So I’m confused whether I should keep History or Physics because I performed poorly even though I knew the content and my teacher isn’t helpful at all as well. Could you guys provide me some help on whether I should keep doing history or physics? Would it be harder to learn analysing and everything in History than Physics? I enjoy the topics but find the sources to be very confusing. About my interest, it would be a little bit in both of them. TIA
considered dropping eco lol?

DarkOperator618

HSC
Economics
English
Maths Advanced
Physics
Modern History
Retail Certificate III
i actually do both

history is actually easier than physics

but do what you like eh

Candlez

HSC
Since you mentioned joining the PF, physics is a better choice to make you competitive. However it really comes down to subject performance. Physics does have better scaling, but to me scaling isnt something that will benefit you unless you perform very well at the subject. (Take a look at the A3 table for reference). I do modern and dropped physics back in year 11 (so i will be biased) for two reasons: 1. it was difficult to begin with and depending on your teacher's helpfulness and speed at which they teach, it could alter your performance significantly. 2. physics requires consistent heavy effort which i'm not a huge fan of, especially if there is a concept that you just cant understand for a while, when others are going forward with new concepts. That's instant pressure. So i dropped it.

I would definitly save history. To me it was a relieve subject. Its not as demanding interms of consistent, everyday study, and in case exams/assignments are piling up, it will be one of your easier tasks to do. (ofc do the best you can at all times). you also mentioned that you knew all the content but got low marks. This could just be a simple case of not writing in the style your teacher/NESA accepts. This happens to a lot of history students (including me). If this is the case, make sure to communicate with your teacher and try to understand what they are looking for (e.g ask for a sample A rank essay). Or an easier way is to get a private tutor for a couple of lessosn until your teacher is satisfied with your essays. This is what i did and it pushed my essay from C to A in less than one term's time.

Sorry for writing this much, but tl;dr save history. Thanks for reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)