Modern History (1 Viewer)

RG11

HSC
So i have a history exam coming up and i have been neglecting history (i.e. giving in shitty rush job essays). We have to answer a question they give on the day about The Meiji Restoration and my teacher has given out a massive hint that its going to be an explain question and mainly focusing on chapter 2 in our text book (charter oath, modernization of army & navy, constitution, political developments, financing modernization).

Last year i put in minimal effort but still managed to pull an alright rank but this year i want to try and get higher. Last year i was ranked 11 out of 120-130, around 10-15 people get B6's in the HSC so i want to come in the top 5. Any tips for bossing Modern History, specifically for my upcoming exam? any input is welcome!

Thanks!

Also i went on the MH prelim syllabus and for The meiji restoration they have these points:

- Internal conditions in Japan that allowed modernisation to take place
- How and why Japanese modernisation was carried out
- Consequences of modernisation for Japan, the region and the Emperor
- Growth of Japanese militarism and imperialism following the Restoration

Do they only ask questions related to these points?

Once again Thank You!

Last edited:

deloving

HSC
I don't do History but I'm sure that they can't ask anything outside the syllabus....
Well, they could ask a question like "Evaluate the impact that the persona of Tokugawa Ieyasu had on Feudal Japan." or something like that. I'm fairly sure that is part of the syllabus, but it's also not the central part of it, so I don't see how they would ask that. It simply wouldn't challenge the knowledge and skills that the student as a result of the study of the topic. Someone more experienced could review this.

enoilgam

HSC
Any tips for bossing Modern History, specifically for my upcoming exam. any input is welcome!
With Modern, I think you should aim to have a solid understanding of the content. Many people memorise the content which I think is pointless, but nonetheless you should have a good understanding of the syllabus. Most importantly though - practice makes perfect, so do plenty of practice essays. For me, what really made the difference was doing practice essays and getting them marked. That definitely pushed me from a band 5 to a band 6. Also, dont underestimate Modern - many people leave studying it to the last minute, but it is a deceptive subject in terms of it's difficulty in my opinion. So keep up with it.

Do they only ask questions related to these points?
All questions are based on the syllabus - the question might be directly from a syllabus point or an amalgam of several points.

deloving

HSC
One tip I'd like to give that helped me with studying for assessments is doing all of the homework questions given in depth. Even if they are generic textbook questions, try to make sure you squeeze everything into the answer because it will help you build the knowledge of the content. Later on you in the exam will remember the information better because you have already answered this before, you now just have to make sure you make mold it into a neat essay.

RG11

HSC
thanks for the responses guys really helped alot, another question i have is how should i go about studying besides doing practice essays (i understand they're the best way to prepare but i have too many assessments coming up to do this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)