More BAshings... (1 Viewer)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
TITLE: Campus Watch - Important Safety message

Campus Watch - Important Safety message

About 2pm Monday 3rd April, 2006 a student was assaulted and robbed between Buildings 120 & 119 Alumni Shop on Northfields Ave. The student's wallet and mobile telephone was taken. Police have confirmed this morning that late yesterday they arrested and charged a 16 year old male with the incident.

This incident highlights the need for members of the campus community to remain vigilant about personal safety at all times, not just at night but during the day. For tips on personal safety go to http://www.uow.edu.au/about/security/personal-safety.html/

Due to the quick reporting of this incident by witnesses to UOW Security, Police assistance was quickly obtained which lead to the arrest of the offender later in the day.

If you see something unusual or suspicious please call University Security on telephone 4221 4555 or extension 4555 or dial #3 from any Security telephone. If you see a crime occurring now call the Campus Emergency telephone number on 4221 4900 or extension 4900 or dial #1 from any Security telephone.

or alternatively......the uni could provide sufficient parking and not make us pay for it, and that way, we wouldnt have to walk through back alleys to get to cars and get beaten up in the process....

and all i have to say about the dumbass 16 year old that got arrested.....bad Pumba......i thought ud learnt better mate

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
It was Pumba? ahahahaha!

if he tried to mug me i would just laugh i ask him if he knows who i am[ i live up the street from him]

dawso

HSC
Serius said:
It was Pumba? ahahahaha!

if he tried to mug me i would just laugh i ask him if he knows who i am[ i live up the street from him]

dont quote me on that, im just guessing.....and have it on quite a good source that it was either him or jerome....(99% source)

yeah pumba is a good kid but....i remember when he asked me to give him my money, me and drue said we would show him how to skate instead, he took up the offer, now we are good mates, lol, kinda..... he always chats 2 drue while hes busking as well, tells him bout 'all the sheilas hes rooted"

dawso

HSC
Without Wings said:
bah stupid 16 yr old kid. Bashing is so wrong. stealing is wrong, but bashing is hideous...

i miss tom :(

rofl

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
The capitalization in the thread topic is misleading. I expected this to be another thread ridiculing Arts students.

dawso

HSC
hfis said:
The capitalization in the thread topic is misleading. I expected this to be another thread ridiculing Arts students.

awww....that would hav been a heaps good pun :(

well in other news.....bachelor of arts is not a real uni degree....

dawso

HSC
Without Wings said:
I'd retract that comment and not mention it again if i were you dawso, unless you want this thread deleted...

hm....despite the fact that ur mod powers do not extend to this forum....i will however rephrase what i said to confirm to my freedom of speech, whilst not being straight out flaming of arts people

so here we go...

whilst i understand that some people wish to study a bachelor of arts, i do not beleive that with the freedom and range of options provided by this course, it should be the type of course offered by universities, and funded by our tax payers....

most people doing a bachelor of arts are simply doing this because they felt the need to go to university but werent sure of which career path to take, and/or are doing it for a little while with the plan to change degrees in the near future, hence in my opinion, i do not bel;eive that such courses should be offered at a university, and more career oriented ones should be focused on

dawso

HSC
Without Wings said:
Just because i'm not listed as a moderator of this forum doesn't mean I don't have the right to pick up innappropriate comments.

This discussion has been done many a time in the university forums, and you'll find that most arts students find the comments made derogative and generalisations. Therefore it is important to keep this in mind before flaming a degree and making generalisations about the students who undertake this particular degree.

now why don't you continue on with your discussion of university safety...

point noted, ill leave my opinions at that, and move back to the topic (wow, see how much we have progressed and developed through kind discussion)

so back onto the topic of the thread....

if all these problems are occuring, sure instead of increasing security, a solution would be to increase parking on uni and decrease the costs so that students arent forced to walk through this area?

dawso

HSC
Bricktop said:
Hahaha, Pumba.

nice contribution there...

i dunno if he should be proud or feel shame that 90% of wollongong youths know him...

Bricktop

HSC
One of the funniest things I've ever seen was Pumba taking a swing at my PE teacher at a swimming carnival haha.

santaslayer

HSC
sounds like a maniac..lol

anyway, whether it is true or not shouldnt be discussed in a forum..esp if he is a child..

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
dawso said:
awww....that would hav been a heaps good pun :(

well in other news.....bachelor of arts is not a real uni degree....
Haha, If you go into the toilets outside the first year physics labs, someone has written above a toilet roll holder: "Arts degrees, please take one."

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
santaslayer said:
sounds like a maniac..lol

anyway, whether it is true or not shouldnt be discussed in a forum..esp if he is a child..
he isnt a child, he is a father!

dawso

HSC
Serius said:
he isnt a child, he is a father!

rofl, nice call, u beat me to it....

in fact, he is both, a child ...AND a father (to multiple children :))

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
dawso said:
hm....despite the fact that ur mod powers do not extend to this forum....i will however rephrase what i said to confirm to my freedom of speech, whilst not being straight out flaming of arts people

so here we go...

whilst i understand that some people wish to study a bachelor of arts, i do not beleive that with the freedom and range of options provided by this course, it should be the type of course offered by universities, and funded by our tax payers....

most people doing a bachelor of arts are simply doing this because they felt the need to go to university but werent sure of which career path to take, and/or are doing it for a little while with the plan to change degrees in the near future, hence in my opinion, i do not bel;eive that such courses should be offered at a university, and more career oriented ones should be focused on

are you serious?

i thought you were better than to make generalisations that only serve to make you seem ignorant.

sorry to drift off topic and rehashing an old thread, but in exercising my own right of freedom of speech, i'd like to offer an reply.

a bachelor of arts degree can serve a distinct and valuable purpose. if it didn't, it wouldn't be offered. to say that it isn't 'career specific' is just plain wrong. the structure of a ba can be manipulated to serve specific career prerequisites, whether it be by concentrating on a single major or combining it with other related disciplines. careers such as historians, librarians, sociologists, publishers, interpreters, editors, translators (the list goes on) eventuate from the ba. whether you hold these careers to esteem or not, the fact of the matter is that these jobs play a societal role and (arguably more importantly) satiate the interests of an individual in a given field.

i come from a perspective within the structure, as i CHOSE to do a ba. the ba (psych) degree offers a psych structure close to that of the BSc or BPsych and allows me to combine it with sociology whilst still acting as a pathway towards psychology postgraduate studies. combining the two allows me to be critically informed and constantly reaffirms knowledge. i am not alone in this pursuit. the ba's ability to combine various disciplines acts not to generalise knowledge but rather diversify capabilities, enhancing employablilty in both knowledge base and ability to display rigour. dawson you yourself are familiar with the advantages of diversifying interests, given the nature of your chosen course. given the interrelated nature of humanities, within the ba, students are able to combine related disciplines that reinforce knowledge and credibility in other areas, such as politics and sociology, english literature and linguistics, or languages.. and anything. it also can help diversify the skills of those enrolled in arts double degrees.

whats wrong with people intending to change degrees later on? in order to do so you have to work HARD to get the transfer. and i think that if you get the marks in order to transfer, you deserve to be there. it isn't easy. not everyone is as smart as you or does as well in the hsc. some people struggle with the structure of school but find they thrive in the educational environment provided by uni. there is a plethora of reasons why people don't do well in the hsc. when these people enrol in a ba it gives them an opportunity to do what they truly want, with their own level of application determining their success.

without wings is right. it is incredibly offensive to dismiss arts degrees as you do, not to mention patronising. it is unfair to generalise arts students as indecisive or only there for 'something to do'. if you talk to some arts students you would find that the 'typical arts student' is naught but a minority and many people actually have career goals or personal aims that they are fulfilling.

all i'm saying is that arts degrees fulfil a function and you have no right to dismiss or discredit their goals and/or the institutionalised means of attaining them.

and i'm interested to hear any manner of a reply.

but back on topic: i heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that a girl got assaulted by three guys when she was walking from uni to the train station, they demanded her backpack, took it and ran off. sad thing is, it was at 6:30 in the afternoon. saaaaaaaad sad sad.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Holy thread necromancy, batman! I know this forum is slow, but jeez.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
are you serious?

i thought you were better than to make generalisations that only serve to make you seem ignorant.

sorry to drift off topic and rehashing an old thread, but in exercising my own right of freedom of speech, i'd like to offer an reply.

a bachelor of arts degree can serve a distinct and valuable purpose. if it didn't, it wouldn't be offered. to say that it isn't 'career specific' is just plain wrong. the structure of a ba can be manipulated to serve specific career prerequisites, whether it be by concentrating on a single major or combining it with other related disciplines. careers such as historians, librarians, sociologists, publishers, interpreters, editors, translators (the list goes on) eventuate from the ba. whether you hold these careers to esteem or not, the fact of the matter is that these jobs play a societal role and (arguably more importantly) satiate the interests of an individual in a given field.

i come from a perspective within the structure, as i CHOSE to do a ba. the ba (psych) degree offers a psych structure close to that of the BSc or BPsych and allows me to combine it with sociology whilst still acting as a pathway towards psychology postgraduate studies. combining the two allows me to be critically informed and constantly reaffirms knowledge. i am not alone in this pursuit. the ba's ability to combine various disciplines acts not to generalise knowledge but rather diversify capabilities, enhancing employablilty in both knowledge base and ability to display rigour. dawson you yourself are familiar with the advantages of diversifying interests, given the nature of your chosen course. given the interrelated nature of humanities, within the ba, students are able to combine related disciplines that reinforce knowledge and credibility in other areas, such as politics and sociology, english literature and linguistics, or languages.. and anything. it also can help diversify the skills of those enrolled in arts double degrees.

whats wrong with people intending to change degrees later on? in order to do so you have to work HARD to get the transfer. and i think that if you get the marks in order to transfer, you deserve to be there. it isn't easy. not everyone is as smart as you or does as well in the hsc. some people struggle with the structure of school but find they thrive in the educational environment provided by uni. there is a plethora of reasons why people don't do well in the hsc. when these people enrol in a ba it gives them an opportunity to do what they truly want, with their own level of application determining their success.

without wings is right. it is incredibly offensive to dismiss arts degrees as you do, not to mention patronising. it is unfair to generalise arts students as indecisive or only there for 'something to do'. if you talk to some arts students you would find that the 'typical arts student' is naught but a minority and many people actually have career goals or personal aims that they are fulfilling.

all i'm saying is that arts degrees fulfil a function and you have no right to dismiss or discredit their goals and/or the institutionalised means of attaining them.

and i'm interested to hear any manner of a reply.

but back on topic: i heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that a girl got assaulted by three guys when she was walking from uni to the train station, they demanded her backpack, took it and ran off. sad thing is, it was at 6:30 in the afternoon. saaaaaaaad sad sad.
You know, by carrying on like you did, you're only encouraging more generalisations. If it offends you so much, perhaps you need to grow a sense of humour. I'm an Arts student, and I really couldn't care about people bagging out the degree. I'd probably join them!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
poloktim said:
You know, by carrying on like you did, you're only encouraging more generalisations. If it offends you so much, perhaps you need to grow a sense of humour. I'm an Arts student, and I really couldn't care about people bagging out the degree. I'd probably join them!
But polok, you and I may be an Arts students but it's not like we're one of those History/Politics muppets.

So if we're not allowed to generalise Arts students, does it mean we can't generalise every other faculty such as engineering students being drunkards, education students being those who want to teach because they can't do, and environmental science students as tree hugging left wingers?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Raiks said:
So if we're not allowed to generalise Arts students, does it mean we can't generalise every other faculty such as engineering students being drunkards, education students being those who want to teach because they can't do, and environmental science students as tree hugging left wingers?
I want to be an engineering student in that case...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)