Most helpful subjects to study at university for GAMSAT (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Title explains itself. Obviously a first year chemistry or physics would be helpful. What other subjects in maybe later years were helpful? Did for example Pharmacology help with chemistry or anatomy with biology etc

bangladesh

HSC
pagingdr.net is the place to go if you want info on gamsat. As for your question, i'm in first year so i can't recommend anything BUT i've heard pharmacology doesn't help at all. Anyway, check out that forum, im sure you'll be able to find info on it.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I thought you have to do Medical science and it prepares you well for gameat

turkey4dinner

HSC
N/A
Anatomy sure will help (quoted from my sister, she loves it). Also she studied Biotechnology, apparently according to her all those knowledge about cells was necessary. Though I'm not sure if she actually found Biotech helpful at all or she was just a geek.

Medman

HSC
Anatomy is helpful only slightly but is low yield in the context of how much you need to remember and how much actually comes up in the GAMSAT.

Medman

HSC
don't want to be a little annoying shit, but physiology is actually one of the LEAST useful subjects you can do..
Your first 2 years of medicine will be mainly physiology so it is actually useful. Also the biology in GAMSAT is heavily physiology based. In my year of 2010 there was two sections on hearts which I would have aced if I knew the physiology of the heart.

In terms of usefulness I would say chemistry, physiology and other biologies. Physics not sure about university level and how it matches to GAMSAT but it's definitely above the standard of Year 12 and possibly first year foundational physics at university.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Your first 2 years of medicine will be mainly physiology so it is actually useful. Also the biology in GAMSAT is heavily physiology based.
yeah, no doubt it'll be useful in med... but not that useful for gamsat.. the biology in gamsat is not heavily physiology based at all and the biology is relatively straight forward in comparison to organic chem etc

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
yeah, no doubt it'll be useful in med... but not that useful for gamsat.. the biology in gamsat is not heavily physiology based at all and the biology is relatively straight forward in comparison to organic chem etc
If you look at physiology as a whole probably not but there are a lot of questions which touch on physiology. Have you actually sat the GAMSAT?

I do agree biology is more straight forward than organic chemistry but if you want to be fully prepared you'll need physiology more than the other biologies.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
If you look at physiology as a whole probably not but there are a lot of questions which touch on physiology. Have you actually sat the GAMSAT?

I do agree biology is more straight forward than organic chemistry but if you want to be fully prepared you'll need physiology more than the other biologies.
tbh, yes most of them do touch on physiology but a first year bio knowledge of the human body is sufficient to answer around 95% of them.. It's much better to take a second year chem uni to master organic chem etc (which are much harder) in comparison to a physiology unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)