• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Motivation to Study, Work etc? (1 Viewer)

amibovvered

HSC
Please share with us your method of motivating yourself to study and to do work.

My current incentive is to set a work pile then once I complete it, I allow myself to watch an episode of Band of Brothers, however I keep getting distracted by the internet.

So, what's your incentive/ method and how effective is it?

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
I have this weird habit of needing to finish things by a certain deadline, almost like an assignment, but with less pressure. Same problem with you, I get distracted by the internet but by setting a weekly to-do list, I feel compelled and motivated to tick off EVERYTHING so I have less work to do in the subsequent weeks. If you use google chrome, you can download StayFocusd which blocks any website you choose for a set period of time.

amibovvered

HSC
I do use StayFocused, but my urge to disable the app eventually wins out ):

enoilgam

HSC
I have this weird habit of needing to finish things by a certain deadline, almost like an assignment, but with less pressure. Same problem with you, I get distracted by the internet but by setting a weekly to-do list, I feel compelled and motivated to tick off EVERYTHING so I have less work to do in the subsequent weeks.
This. Setting small achievable goals is key to maintaining your motivation. Sometimes more can be less- what I mean by this is that if you overload yourself with work, you will fall behind which will crush your morale (aka burnout). By setting and achieving small goals, you can sustain your motivation for a long period of time which is extremely difficult to do during the HSC. Obviously, there are points during the year where your workload will be high - at those points, try stretching your work out and avoid cramming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)