Motor Effect Force (1 Viewer)

timeflies

HSC
Okay so I just want to confirm/clear up something. I have read different sources and some say different things about the forces experienced by each end of the coil during the motor effect.

Source 1: Each end of the coil will experience a force which varies from zero, when the plane of the coil is parallel to the field, to a maximum when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the field.

Source 2: Each end of the coil will experience a force: zero when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the field and maximum when the plane of the coil is parallel to the field.

From what I know, source 2 is the correct one. Can someone clear this up?

QZP

HSC
Depends what sides you're talking about. But source 2 is correct in the standard sense (need a diagram).

QZP

HSC
Sorry, I think I have some incorrect info in my previous post. Consider the ends of the coil that are perpendicular to the magnetic field. They will always experience a CONSTANT force (F = BIlsin90). What you are probably referring to is TORQUE - this is what fluctuates in your scenarios with the plane of the coil changing angles.

But really, you need a diagram and I could explain it more clearly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)