Multiple choice answers? (1 Viewer)

DVDVDVDV

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not even going to pretend I know what you're going on about.

sinsolja

HSC
as in what did you answer for your multiple choice questions

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I remember doing it and thinking "Fuck, I don't want to have to work this out." for parts and going back and doing bits after I'd finished the latter sections.

ibbi00

HSC
Pretty sure Q20 was B, just saying.
Ditto.

EDIT: I actually liked this year's MCQ given that it had a lot of calculations which I managed - Just because they give you extra MCQ questions doesn't mean they're gonna let you fly through them like previous years.

The only question which is clearly off the syllabus is Q6. None of these given 'systematic' names are in either of Jacaranda or Conquering Chemistry. Correct answer according to Wikipedia is D) Ethenylbenzene. The name most students would be familiar with however, is Phenylethene.

Another question I was disputing with classmates was Q7. I went with sulfuric acid seeing as it is a strong diprotic acid. Others suggested Citric acid citing it as triprotic. I'm not entirely convinced, however.

Last edited:

yalando

HSC
Ditto.

EDIT: I actually liked this year's MCQ given that it had a lot of calculations which I managed - Just because they give you extra MCQ questions doesn't mean they're gonna let you fly through them like previous years.

The only question which is clearly off the syllabus is Q6. None of these given 'systematic' names are in either of Jacaranda or Conquering Chemistry. Correct answer according to Wikipedia is D) Ethenylbenzene. The name most students would be familiar with however, is Phenylethene.

Another question I was disputing with classmates was Q7. I went with sulfuric acid seeing as it is a strong diprotic acid. Others suggested Citric acid citing it as triprotic. I'm not entirely convinced, however.
For the ethenylbenzene one I put ethylbenzene considering that is what is referred to in the conquering chemistry textbook and macquarie/ dot point book. I know wikipedia isn't very accurate but it gives this same definition for the monomers ethylbenzene and ethenylbenzene "This aromatic hydrocarbon is important in the petrochemical industry as an intermediate in the production of styrene" - is this something the news was referring to about the multitude of errors found in this years chem paper?

Also for the sulfuric acid one I think it has to be H2SO4 because it is a strong diprotic acid whereas citruc acid, although triprotic only partially ionises therefore making it weaker than H2SO4 as all its 'diproticness' will ionize.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
For the ethenylbenzene one I put ethylbenzene considering that is what is referred to in the conquering chemistry textbook and macquarie/ dot point book. I know wikipedia isn't very accurate but it gives this same definition for the monomers ethylbenzene and ethenylbenzene "This aromatic hydrocarbon is important in the petrochemical industry as an intermediate in the production of styrene" - is this something the news was referring to about the multitude of errors found in this years chem paper?

Also for the sulfuric acid one I think it has to be H2SO4 because it is a strong diprotic acid whereas citruc acid, although triprotic only partially ionises therefore making it weaker than H2SO4 as all its 'diproticness' will ionize.
For Q6, D) Ethenylbenzene is correct. You should never completely trust HSC textbooks. (Btw, 'ethyl' would be when there's no double bond.)
It's not outside the scope of the syllabus because there is a syllabus point for it.
• identify the following as commercially significant monomers:
- vinyl chloride
- styrene
by both their systematic and common names

You seem to be a little confused about weak and strong acids.
Weak acids, when added to water, will partially ionise, whereas strong acids will completely ionise.
However, the situation here is not as simple. We are adding strong base to titrate it.
In this case, strength of acid does not really matter, it is the mole ratio involved in acid-base reaction that matters.
Yes, strong acids will start from a lower pH, but it will also be titrated to end point with less volume than citric because H2SO4 is diprotic whereas C6H8O7 is triprotic.
As more base is added, the hydronium ion concentration decreases and the acid's dissociation equilibrium will shift forward, producing more hydronium ions until citric acid is completely deprotonated - equivalence point (assuming you didn't add excess base) and end point should be approximately equal to equivalence point because that's the whole point of an indicator.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
lol it's pretty good although intense
i'm just doing science part of the degree so no med as of yet
but i do subjects that are med related.

btw, oh gosh, chem used to be so easy but now at uni...

Ekirra

HSC
Pretty sure Q20 was B, just saying.
yay :D.....i remember that question as if it was embedded into my mind. I guessed at first then looking over it again...i finally realised what to do [ i think]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)