Multiple Choice Answers (2 Viewers)

idontknow

for question 2 it depends on how you intrpret the question.
"Which of the following churches had the lowest proportion of its members join the uniting church?"

Now you could argue that the church of christ isn't a member of the uniting church and therefore it would have the least members join or switch to the uniting church

I think this is what they wanted us to realise as i dont think it was a requirement to know what % of people became memebers of the uniting church. So i think this question was really a test to see if you knew who was in the uniting church.

I figured this out after the exam, i guessed D.

Hmm mines a bit different. I got (c) for q.2...but that was a guess cause i knew lots of the presbyterians left after a while. For 4. i got (a) cause i had never heard of the torrens title system and for 7 i got (d) cause i thought that was the most right out of the last two.

princess b*

heres my answers

well my answers are pretty close to the 1st lot. and im pretty confident theyre right.

1. B
2. D
3. B
4. A!! A!!! A!
5. A (denom switching is major issue)
6. C
7. did have C, but D is best answer
8. D
9. C
10. A

Transcendant

Heres what I got:

B
A (B,C,D are all members of the uniting church, so it has to be A)
C (might be bush church aid, not sure)
A (The Torrens thingy was made up by the BOS, and therefore is the correct answer.. )
A
C
D (I thought this was a pretty vague question- it was either C or D, not sure which)
D
C
A

Apart from questions 3 and 7, im 99% sure the others are correct.

Transcendant

So? You can be Catholic and "Join" the uniting church.... you can be anglican and "Join" the uniting church... the question is so vague it could be either

princess b*

yes, but the deal with the UC was that not all presbys/congregs/methos joined. there is the UC but theres still separate presby/metho churches. lowest proportion came from congregationalists.
heres sum stats even:

1976 --- 1986
presby 6.6 % 3.6
congreg 0.4 0.1
metho 7.3 0

Transcendant

Yeah I know what you're saying, but it really just comes down to symantics. Its however you choose to interperet the question. Anyhoo, with question 3 are we sure its B and not C? I thought i remembered my teacher babbeling on about how St Vinnies had a big rural presence...

princess b*

yeh, well its not as if its important now anyways. i think im just venting my tiredness on this forum wen i should be getting ready for my formal 2MORO!!! YAY!!!

but for the vinnies thing....its a FOCUS on rural/outback. therefore is bush church aid society.

kaseita

2 is obviously C. they just put a - churches of christ in, in order to fool people who didn't know anything. no one from the church of christ joined the Uniting Church, so there is no proportion to measure (i.e. 0 out of the entire Church of Christ population is not a proportion)

When the Uniting Church was formed, it absorbed the congregational church, and the Methodist Church. However, there was a split in Presbyterian support for this ecumenist act, and so approximately half the presbyterians joined the Uniting Church, and the other half remained.

hmm, I wasn't sure of 4, I put down D cause I didn't know what it was saying, but I figure now it was pretty stupid :p. I just didn't want to put a, cause it sounds official

q7 I wasn't sure of. I should've put c, since its the obvious one, but d is also right as well. whilst it sounds stupid, the requirement that Aboriginal bodies be buried in the land that they came from, is one of the rituals they practice, so that they continue the harmony with their ancestral spirits.

hated q10. I didn't have a calculator on me, so had to guess :p. turns out got it right.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by kaseita
2 is obviously C....
When the Uniting Church was formed, it absorbed the congregational church, and the Methodist Church. However, there was a split in Presbyterian support for this ecumenist act, and so approximately half the presbyterians joined the Uniting Church, and the other half remained.

yeah but take in2 account princess b's stats. altho only 1/2 the presbyterians joined, this 1/2 may still b a larger population than that of those from the congregational church

if only 1/2 of princess b's stats 4 the presb. remained, the pop of those from this church would b ~ 3, whereas that of the cong. church would remain < 0.5 (or wateva the figure was)

so regardless, the no. of those in the cong. church will always b < that of the presb. pop.

kaseita

I'm presuming princess Bs stats indicate the proportion of christians that were in each denomination.

e.g. 6.6% of christians were presbyterians in 1976, 3.6% in 1986 were presbs

(correct me if I'm wrong)

therefore, whilst the population of the presbyterians, joining UC is larger than the pop of the congregational church, which is presumably only 0.4% of the christian church in 1976, that's not what the question is asking

"Which of the following churches had the lowest proportion of its members join the Uniting Church in 1977?"

It's looking at the lowest proportion of the members of that particular denomination.
So even using princess Bs data, a change from 6.6% to 3.6%, is a smaller change than a change from 0.4% to 0.1% for congregationalists.

In other words, half the presbyterians left their church, whilst 3/4s of the congregationalists left their church.

So the presbyterian church had the lowest proportion of its members join UC

schwang_thang

ohhhh i get wat ure saying

damn.

i wud never have got that 1 out :confused:
i just looked at the qstn n went, hey, bigger number = correct answer.

kaseita

I almost did that with q10 :p
put islam down first, cause I thought the gap was bigger

then ended up doing this whole long division for islam and buddhism, cause I had no calculator, and nor did anyone else :(

zemaj

Yeah - 2 definately C. Its obviously refering to the few Presbyterian Churches that remained.

...and I had a calculator, but the supervisors wouldn't let us use them :rolleyes:

-zem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)