Multiple Entry Criteria (1 Viewer)

KD

HSC
N/A
Faculty of Engineering Admission Scheme (FEAS)

This used to be MCE Multiple Entry Criteria Scheme in 2006

For 2008 info see: http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/feas/index.htm

MULTIPLE CRITERIA ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

For 2006 admissions, Engineering @ UNSW has introduced multiple criteria entry requirements for the admission of undergraduate students to its degree programs. Both current Year 12 and other applicants are eligible to apply.
Engineering is a professional discipline and while good academic performance at school is certainly necessary to complete undergraduate engineering study at university, success in engineering also depends on motivation, attitudes and some ability in areas not measured in high school assessment. For example, engineering is a profession which builds on design and problem solving skills, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship.

If you are genuinely interested in engineering and think you have a good chance of performing to a high level at university but think your final UAI could be between 75 and 88 you should consider applying for multiple criteria entry requirements.

Your suitability for the program will be assessed from your attitude, commitment and interest, the subjects you chose for your HSC, and your UAI (or equivalent rank if you have undertaken any tertiary study). This process will allow you to make a more considered judgement as to whether you might really be suited to engineering at UNSW and subsequently to the engineering profession.

If your estimated UAI is between 75 and 88, the Faculty strongly encourages you to submit a written application for an interview on an official application form.

General enquiries may be directed to Email: feas@unsw.edu.au

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Good move by UNSW IMO. Not only does it tempt people with higher UAIs to join the uni, but it also gets rid of people that are only in the course because they couldn't make it into anything else.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
But the only reason the UAI's were so low is because they still couldnt even fill the places with 78 and 80 as the UAI's....

Have they properly announced the "common first year" yet?

zkuld

newblet
HSC
I think it's because of two reasons.
1. People with higher UAIs don't want to waste their UAI on a 78-80UAI course. That means USYD always gets all the smarter people, and UNSW always gets all the not so intelligent people. And this trend will always continue until something happens, like an increase in the cutoff. I'm not sure if that made any sense but you should know what I mean :p
85 is a nice number because it's not too low to make people think its a shit course or whatever (I know UAI doesn't represent the quality of the course, but tell that to the entire population!), and it's not too high as to drive away the underperformers.
2. UNSW does offer a lot more places than USYD or most other unis around.

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
For sure. It means there'll be more commited and dedicated engineers for the future.

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
Argh... For someone who received a UAI of 84.7 last year, and is wanting to transfer to UNSW engineering this year, this really sucks.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
an interview couldn't be that bad... it's really not hard to lie through an interview :D

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
Yeah, my only concern is what percentage of the applicants they intend to weed out with these interviews. I mean, if it's just to get rid of a few bad eggs, that's fine, I should breeze through... But, if they're just sick of under-85's ruining the standards of their courses, and only wanna take the elite that they feel are actually worthy, then I might have some issues.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
They can't fill the places offered with a cut-off or 78, i have a feeling they will take a decent amount on interview...

shannonm

HSC
N/A
yeah, i get the impression that if you had the initiative to go for an interview (and don't appear to be a complete idiot), and get a uai of over 75, you will get in
aim is to increase enrolments and also maintain 'implied prestige' with a higher direct entry uai cutoff

KD

HSC
N/A
shannonm said:
yeah, i get the impression that if you had the initiative to go for an interview (and don't appear to be a complete idiot), and get a uai of over 75, you will get in
aim is to increase enrolments and also maintain 'implied prestige' with a higher direct entry uai cutoff
Be warned, this is not true. You should take the interview seriously.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
of course take the interview seriously.. but their intentions are to increase enrolments and this would involve taking more (75-85 UAI) interview peeps than normal entries (78 or 80-85) that they would otherwise have taken had this system not been in place

KD

HSC
N/A
The idea is to increase the quality and retention rate not the number entering. Students currently enter engineering and drop out after a year as they can't handle the workload/type or find that engineering is not for them. This results in less income to the Uni. The job of the interview is to give a higher weighting to those more likely to succeed in engineering. The result being that some who would have got in with a UAI of 78-84 in the past may get replaced by someone with UAI as low as 75.

There is a limit on how many students uni's can take so there won't be many more entering engineering compared with now. Note the numbers may go up and down in different areas of engineering.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
It not about if you are smart or not, I think it's more about showing you have the initiative to apply yourself, which is shown either through getting a decent UAI, or by bothering with the interview process. Oh and I am guessing there will be quite a few places to fill once this policy comes into play.

ioniser

HSC
Maximus said:
Argh... For someone who received a UAI of 84.7 last year, and is wanting to transfer to UNSW engineering this year, this really sucks.

if u read on the web link,nsw is lifting their uais to 85 + in 2006 ,therefor its not so bad after all

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
I did read the web link. But say I wanted to do a course with an 81 cut-off, please explain how me having to sign up for MCE and go through this interview process (in which I might be rejected), is in fact better than me just being allowed in automatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)