Music 2- question about melodic dictation (1 Viewer)

Angelyte

HSC
Hello,
I was just talking to a friend a few days ago and she told me that she heard rumours that they soemtimes give us melodic dictation on transposed instruments.
For example, they would write down on the paper that it starts on a C, but the recording itself is played by a trumpet in B flat so it actually starts on a B flat... if you get what I mean...

Anyway, this is a problem for me because I have perfect pitch and this happened in an exam in yr 9 and I panicked, missed all 5 playings of it by stressing over it and screwed it up because I was hearing all the wrong notes. :p

Could someone please confirm this? It's funny because it happened in yr 9, but I don't think i want it to happen in my hsc...

And if anyone else has the same problem, could you please give me any tips? My teachers keeps telling me to ignore what I am hearing and use relative pitch, but I find it really hard, especially when I've been taught to use it for my past AMEB musicianship exams.
I would be grateful for some advice.
Thank you :)

LetsGetBIZET

HSC
Perhaps you could write down what YOU hear and then transpose it afterwards.

OR

Write down what you hear but imagine everything has a flat/sharp sign depending on the transposition. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)