Nanotechnology (1 Viewer)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Hi,

Now that I have my UAI, I've found that I should not have much trouble getting into University - I just need to decide what it is I want to do.

That said, and area that has been appealing to me lately is that of nanotechnology. Does anyone have any experience with this course, or have any suggestions as to where I should do it? At the moment I want to do the B Nanotechnology (Advanced) at the University of Wollongong, though I've seen other courses at other uni's too (most along the lines of BSc (Nanotechnology)).

Also, what are the job prospects like for those who have completed this course? It seems to be an emerging science, and no 'professions' as such come to mind.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

ohne

HSC
nanotechnology is a very new and small section of science (especially in australia) although it is growing rapidly across many areas and will probably have developed quite well by the time you graduate

most of the courses seem pretty similar, the bachelor of nanotechnology and science (nanotechnology) are generally pretty much the same thing, i wouldn't choose where to study on the basis of its name, although BSc does probably have better recognition in broad terms because of its size, althoug nanotechnology may seem better if thats what you're determined to do

unsw is obviously a very good uni and thus should be pretty good for nano, UTS is supposed to be good for nano, a know someone who does nano at the gong and i hear it is very good there too. i am not sure about usyd where i think they have nano

i think your best option is to attend which ever university is closest to you or suits you best. at this stage of its development i don't think it really matters too much where you go.

from what i hear the class sizes are very small, i think there are less than 10 people doing nano at wollongong this year and 2004 was its first year, a lot of the subjects you do will be with science and engineering students and obviously maths though. from what i hear most of the subjects are science/engineering with a few dedicated nano subjects here and there, an advantage of this is you could probably get a job somewhere else if nano doesn' take off as fast as is hoped

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3617.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)