Need help in regards to getting into a selective school for Year 11. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi everyone,

Just a bit of background information about myself before I talk about my concerns in regard to applying for a selective school for Year 11. I am in Year 11 (looking to repeat) and currently go to Blacktown Boys High School. The subjects I am studying right now are: Extension 1 Maths, Standard English, Music 1, Chemistry, Multimedia and Economics. I am willing to repeat Year 11 to get into a selective school because I am looking to push myself to become one of the best students in terms of academic success as well as wanting a more competitive environment.

Anyways, I am looking to apply for 3 of the quad schools (James Ruse, Baulkham Hills, Girraween or Penrith). I have some academic certificates and extra-curricular certificates and am still waiting to receive more before I submit in my applications. I am aware of how difficult for me to get into the top schools (James Ruse/Baulko) just due to how lackluster my school reports are compared to other top performing students. :(

My reports are as follows:
Yr 11 Half Yearly -
English Common Course: High, Rank 6
Advanced Mathematics: High, Rank 13
Extension 1 Maths: Basic :(, not sure about rank but I'm pretty sure I'm in the bottom 25%
Multimedia: High, Rank 4
Music: High, Rank 6
Chemistry: High, Rank 7
Economics: Sound, Rank 2

Year 10 Yearly -
English: Sound
Music: High
Mathematics 5.3: Sound
Food Technology: Outstanding
Science: High
Geography: High
History: High
IPT: Sound
Careers: High

My main goal is to get into Ruse but I'm aware that it will be almost impossible for me to get in unless I do EXTREMELY WELL in the Entrance Test (EduTest).

3 questions:
1) What are some extracurricular activities/volunteering programs I could do within the 2 months I have before I have to submit in my application?
2) Do any of the quad schools care about when you hand in your application?
3) Has anyone here attempted the EduTest for James Ruse? If so, is there any way for me to prepare for this test or is it very similar to the ACER/HAST tests?

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Doesn't really answer your question but please don't repeat just to get into a selective school. The school you go to really doesn't mean anything (I got 99+ atar at a 300+ school, if that adds any credibility). If you were going to repeat it would be wiser to repeat yr12 rather than y11 to boost your HSC marks.

Last edited:

nesco49

HSC
I can't really answer your questions but here's some real advice :)
Out of the four schools, I believe Girraween is the easiest to get into as they accept at least 20 new people into year 11. I transferred from a 250+ school, basically dux (if I put in effort), with a 2 B (rest A's) report, as well as various academic excellence awards throughout the past two years. I had no extra curricular and my HAST results weren't the greatest, but I made it reserve 3, eventually getting called up. Looking back at my results, my HAST score was 21st meaning I would have been 1st reserve if it wasn't for the lack of extra curricular. However, by the end of term 1, they ended up transferring a reserve 17 because some new students leave before giving girra a chance (it's an amazing school, however it's way less competitive in year 11, at least my year is). I've never heard of them accepting repeats, but you can try your best, especially for the HAST because if you do absolutely amazing in that, I'm definitely sure you'll make it. You can search for practice tests online :) Also I'm pretty sure none of the quad schools accept in year 12 so yeah^
wish you the best of luck :D

doggossigh

HSC
I got into BHHS in Year 11 this year, and I wrote a guide on my marks, ranks and extracurriculars lmao
I'll link it to you since i cbbs re-writing everything but yeah since Baulko only looks at report you seem pretty solid.

http://community.boredofstudies.org.../378788/baulkham-hills-application-guide.html

However, I feel like Baulko only accepts from top 30 selective schools even if your smarter? Its kinda weird but it's a trend I have noticed. There are tons of transfers into Girra who were smarter than me but didn't get into Baulko when they tried out (and those Girra transfers were defos smarter than most of the Girra people even though they became from Blacktown or Parra ya know). So i feel like they have a bias against lower ranked schools simply because they think 'oh they are lower ranked, their report probs is inaccurate' or something like that, so I would be a bit wary against trying out for schools based purely on report, eg Baulko.

MouseTop

HSC
So i feel like they have a bias against lower ranked schools simply because they think 'oh they are lower ranked, their report probs is inaccurate' or something like that, so I would be a bit wary against trying out for schools based purely on report, eg Baulko.
I don't think there's a bias. In the grade above you at Baulko (graduating this year) there are two people who transferred from Homebush Boys and that's currently ranked like 270 and was ranked 360 when we got into Baulko.

HSC
As a transfer Ruse student, I can confidently assert that our selection committee overlooks the school rankings and focuses on your achievements in report and extracurriculars. For your reference we had 5 transfers out of 24 that were from a comprehensive that was all ranked 100+

So don't be discouraged :)

192pages

HSC
Hi everyone,

Just a bit of background information about myself before I talk about my concerns in regard to applying for a selective school for Year 11. I am in Year 11 (looking to repeat) ..

Whoa your allowed to repeat just cos u want to???
I really want to repeat to apply for a selectivve school and plus cos im younger than everyone but according to nesa, it says i need to really bad at school to be allowed to repeat....
i would repeat if i could i guess, even though the greade lower r mega shorties n ill probably we weirded out..

dumNerd

HSC
That is definitely false, they do not bias selective school intakes, they look at your achievements. (Made it to Baulko this year from a ranked 350+ school)
they very rarely consider your achievements unless they outstanding eg. AMC represent

dumNerd

HSC
yeah I know, but im saying that they do not bias selective school students
bruh they 100% do noone coming to my grade is not from top 30 as far as I know

dumNerd

HSC
that's only your grade mate lol, the reason why most people going to baulko are from top 30 schools is because that is where most of the quality students are at, but that does not mean they bias and only pick from those schools and disregard applicants from low ranking schools
"Thats only your grade buddy" apart from you, when you get there let me know how many transfers not top 30

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)