• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need Help Plotting Waves (1 Viewer)

ConHeo

HSC
Draw a diagram on graph paper which represents a transverse wave of amplitude 2cm and frequency 4Hz travelling to the right at 8cm s^-1. Draw one complete wave. On separate diagrams underneath the first draw the same wave 0.25s later, 0.40s later then the original diagram.
What would the waves look like? I calculated the wavelength to be 2 from using v=fλ
v=fλ
8=4*λ
λ=2
But what does the wave look like graphed and at 0.25s later/0.40s later?
Thanks in advance!

Someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, really need help.

Last edited:

Doomspectre

HSC
Draw a diagram on graph paper which represents a transverse wave of amplitude 2cm and frequency 4Hz travelling to the right at 8cm s^-1. Draw one complete wave. On separate diagrams underneath the first draw the same wave 0.25s later, 0.40s later then the original diagram.
What would the waves look like? I calculated the wavelength to be 2 from using v=fλ
v=fλ
8=4*λ
λ=2
But what does the wave look like graphed and at 0.25s later/0.40s later?
Thanks in advance!

Someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, really need help.
Click me for the graph.
I stuck all waves on the same graph. The scales on the axes are in cm. Red wave is the original wave. Green wave is the one 0.25s later. Blue wave is the one 0.40s later. I added the purple line on the right at 8cm to hopefully add clarity to the graph. I only graphed "one complete wave".

You're right with saying the wavelength is 2cm.
This graph is pretty minimalistic though. Hang on, I'll make an annotated version.

EDIT: Ok, here's the more detailed annotated version.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)