• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need Help! (1 Viewer)

Cabrera1990

HSC
I know how databases work in theory yet i am having trouble making and example one in Microsoft Access.....can anybody help me and point me in the right direction or even give me some URL's for tutorials??? Greatly Appreciated!

Cheers

hobby345

HSC
What sort of database are you trying to create?
Have you tries using the "Create table using wizard" option? This guides you through creating one.

If you don't want to use the wizard:
- Click "Create table in design view".
- The "Field Name" is basically the columns

(for a very basic database, "data type" and "description" are not critical, but should be included. research the different types of data and select the option that best suits the particular attribute [aka field name and column]. Description should include what the field is, and the format it should be.

For example, a field name called: "date of birth", should contain a description something like:
>The date that the customer was born. Format: dd/mm/yyyy
It may not be a perfect description or example, but it's a start.

Depending on the type of database (flat file, relational etc.) you usually need a primary key. Seeing as you know the theory, you can decide this for yourself.
- Save the table, and click the button called "view" (next to save). Here you can enter your data in accordance to your field names.

To create a simple form view (screen design) simply click the 'Forms' tab on the database, and use the wizard for a simple step by step guide.

Since i don't know details about the type of database you are creating, i can not really elaborate further, but i hope this very basic guide will put you on the right path.

i just googled "Access tutorials" and this is the first site that come up:
http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm

It will explain much better than i can and explains everything from primary keys to advanced table features, relationships etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)