New car decisions (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
It's pretty likely that by the end of the year I'll be looking for a new car (I'll have the money for a loan/finance cause I'll be working fulltime), and i'm looking for a mid size car that'll last me a good number of years.

I've been looking at the japanese ones namely the Liberty 2.0R, Mazda6 and Accord/Accord Euro. I'll probably spend the $30-35k mark, so yeah, anyone have an opinion on which is a better buy? I was leaning toward the Liberty

Mr Will

HSC
Minai said:
Hey guys,
It's pretty likely that by the end of the year I'll be looking for a new car (I'll have the money for a loan/finance cause I'll be working fulltime), and i'm looking for a mid size car that'll last me a good number of years.

I've been looking at the japanese ones namely the Liberty 2.0R, Mazda6 and Accord/Accord Euro. I'll probably spend the $30-35k mark, so yeah, anyone have an opinion on which is a better buy? I was leaning toward the Liberty

buy the accord euro - more power and better handling than the liberty (even though the latter has awd). the euro will also have better resale, and is way better inside and out than the lib. mazda 6 is pretty good but the basic model is pretty damn basic.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The accords are really nice looking Minai.

My friends about to buy a Mazda 6, but he's a yuppy hehe.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well you're definantly looking in the right segment.

I'm going to have to agree that the Accord Euro is the pick of the bunch, have a browse of the options catalogue I'm not sure how much it costs but there is quite a nice kit. Oh and as an added bonus you get a 'making of' dvd about the iconic 'things just work' add.

If you're prepared to spend an extra $10k then the sportier models are worth a look - I've heard good things about the Mazda6 MPS....

alexxxz

HSC
euro and liberty are both very nice cars... the euro does have more guts. its unfortunate that they put the 2.0 in the liberty as its fairly gutless! the 2.5 and 3.0 versions are much nicer to drive.

7th Sign

HSC
Accord Euro classey nice car all round mate...

liberties are more for like older people imo

eurps are for like young business people....

go the euro for sure...

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
im not sure but if the liberty comes out in 2.5 grab that. it's a nice ride, i wanna gat a liberty soon, but a 94ish model

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I would go with the euro, thats what dad is getting in about a week, the colour choices are good, the interior is fantastic and you *should* be able to get one for around that money! If you were looking now I would suggest the euro sports with the body kit etc, I tried to make dad look at it but old people don't appreciate that sort of stuff!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
go the accord

liberty...hmmm i dunno how it would look with a young bloke, like someone said its usually driven by older people

mazda6 is a good car,but overall for your needs i think the accord has the edge over it

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:
Hey guys,

Are you doing auto or manual?

They should all be in the under 35k mark incl. on-roads.... but the 2.0R I'm not too sure about, it only came out recently and IIRC is around $33k for auto (not on road).

From experience with the automatics;
I've driven the Accord and a Mazda626 before (similar to Mazda6 I'd imagine), both are pretty good. The Accord feels kindof light and relaxing- as if you are sitting in a couch, Mazda feels a lot more involving and connected to the road. The interior of both the Accord and Mazda is top notch, the $30k Accord is a lot nicer inside than the Classic Mazda6; but I think towards the upper models, the Mazda has a nicer interior in the Luxury model. Liberty, I've never driven but I've sat in before and in the base models, the value for money just isn't there- as with a lot of Subarus, I think you're paying for the AWD/Boxer engine.

I've never driven the Accord Euro though. When I went to ask for the cheapest Accord Euro in Automatic, the dealer said it would be towards the high 30s (ie. nearly 40k) and I was like.. bugger that.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
MiuMiu said:
My friends about to buy a Mazda 6, but he's a yuppy hehe.
Minai isn't a yuppie? Young fellow employed in a white collar job wanting to buy lower level executive car to show that he has 'arrived'? Next up is the plasma and then the nice stereo...blah blah etc etc

I assume this new car thing will be some kind of tax write off otherwise it may be um wiser not be so middle class and consumerist and save that money to invest/ first house deposit. Cars arnt exactly a good investment.

Of all of those I personally like the Liberty. However the 2.0 is lacking guts big time. Accord Euro is nice but I'd hate to have the ricer image that surrounds it. Also the car isn't as quick as 140kw's suggest. IF you are going to get the automatic euro you probably won't feel those 140kw very often. The Subaru has better crash scores. The mazda 6 doesnt seem to have the build quality that the subie and the honda has, more plastically, not as nice 'thunk' in the doors. Generally not as well built.

Unless you are starting a family soon I think you should also consider some of the Euro models. The VW Golf 2.0 FSI is a very nice car. You are essentially getting a $45 Audi A3 for $10K less. You can also avoid the ricer image. Not to mention the golf having excellent crash tests and being built like a tank. Around 35K and has very very good resale.

The last thing is to ask is whether you actually need a 40K car when you probably don't drive to work. There are many other cheaper and possibly more appropriate models that will make your penis any smaller.

My opinion.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wheredanton said:
Unless you are starting a family soon I think you should also consider some of the Euro models. The VW Golf 2.0 FSI is a very nice car. You are essentially getting a $45 Audi A3 for $10K less. You can also avoid the ricer image. Not to mention the golf having excellent crash tests and being built like a tank. Around 35K and has very very good resale.
My opinion.
another golf fan eh? i agree get a golf, they have a special spot with me, prolly something to do with me always driving small cars... meh

built like a tank isnt really the right image, but if theres something the germans know how to do its build cars and build them right, no cut corners, no cheap parts

resale is a little 2 good if u ask me, when i have the money to buy one it will have to be second hand and iam not gonna get it nearly as cheaply as i want to :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm under the impression he needs a car to visit clients (since he's an auditor)- and if you are a graduate, it means you are either a senior or approaching senior accountant/auditor (title varies with firms) or even incharge, which also means it can sometimes be your duty to drive your juniors to clients too.

Anyway I also forgot to mention... from what I've heard, Accord and Accord Euro are VERY different cars despite sharing the same name so keep that in mind when you go out to test them Minai! :)

As for the comment about the Liberty's thud- yeh it does have a very good thud. IIRC, Subaru loves to promote their 5 star NCAP for that car, but from a value for money perspective, I don't think you'll be getting much Liberty (apart from the AWD/performance) for under $35k.

CieL

HSC
I have the Accord Euro.
It's a sturdy car.

Some curry driving a 20yr old camry without ABS slammed into my rear and pushed me into the Echo in front. Engine bay of camry got pushed back (and wouldnt start later) whilst my bumper only got slightly ripped revealing steel bars underneath. My bonnet area that hit the Echo made a huge dent in their rear bumper but my bonnet came out unscathed.

Strong, huh?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
very, but depends on what speed or not if thats a good thing
personally i would prefer crumple zones and a car that collapses under the smallest impact than a spine brace and an untouched car

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Serius said:
very, but depends on what speed or not if thats a good thing
personally i would prefer crumple zones and a car that collapses under the smallest impact than a spine brace and an untouched car
Crumple zones and general car safety have improved substantially since the late 90s. The average car in 1996 would 'tin can' and crush the driver in a 60kmph frontal offset crash. At least today even the cheapest cars show no deformation of the passenger space with the same crash.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone see Friday's Sydney Morning Herald "Drive" section? The inside cover had a picture from the NCAP testing of the new Holden Barina sedan.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They don't sell twin turbo models on the current Liberty range anymore do they? Regardless of that, the Liberty can go bloody fast (seen it with my own eyes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)